Sign in to follow this  

could stretched chain cause this?

I posted about this a while ago thinking it was my carbs on my 1990 xr600 then we thought it could be electrical which im still not ruling out however I have a loud ticking noise on the top end and when I pulled the valve cover it didn't seem to line up just right. What my issue is when I start going down the road at a constant speed only not idle or giving it more throttle I get this feeling of the bike cutting in and out or starving for fuel but giving it more throttle would rule out the fuel issue no?

Ya I haven't really been riding it due to the issue with the cutting in and out I recently just got it rebuilt after the motor grenaded the bottom end. I think they just reused the old good parts for the top end however I did a leak down and compression test and that seemed to be fine. Watched a video of a bad timing chain and it sounds about the same. Should the rocker arms be free moving or have some resistance going up and down?

The rocker arms should move freely.  If you have the valve cover off and the chain tensioner is still in-tack.  Try to lift the chain off of the cam sprocket.  If you can the chain is stretched.

ME

Ya the rocker arms move but you have to physically move them if you put them in one spot and say turn the valve cover over a bunch of times they don't move one of the rockers used to feel loose I guess you could say but I tightened the shaft and it put it like the other 3. I'm pretty sure the cam chain is stretched as well so that might be the next thing however would that cause the cutting in and out issue I'm having while at a constant speed.

Ya the rocker arms move but you have to physically move them if you put them in one spot and say turn the valve cover over a bunch of times they don't move one of the rockers used to feel loose I guess you could say but I tightened the shaft and it put it like the other 3. I'm pretty sure the cam chain is stretched as well so that might be the next thing however would that cause the cutting in and out issue I'm having while at a constant speed.

I don't see how a loose chain would cause it to cut in and out... To me that would be an electrical or a fuel issue.

ME

That's what I'm thinking it could also be.... What about the rocker arms is that normal for those to do that ?

Rocker arms have like .005 inches of play...the kill switch may be bad which is causing the stutter at constant throttle...check your manual on what the specs call for about rocker play and cam chain slack...then disconnect the kill switch to see if that cures the " stutter"...

That was actually the first thing we tested didn't work. Tested the electronics with ohms and they were in spec. We are suspecting the cdi however. I just wanted to rule out the cam chain being stretched and the rockers somehow causing the issue.... When you say play that's side to side correct? How would you otherwise adjust that if needed?