Sign in to follow this  

2008 RM 250 Showa Fork Problem

I have a 2008 Rm250 that the compression clicker on top isn't "clicking." From all the way soft it will click a few times then just spin when moving towards a harder setting. I figured now would be a good time to get in there and replace fluids and see what the problem is. 

While taking apart the forks and trying to separate the damper rod from the fork leg the damper rod would move down with the fork leg after the center bold had been completely loosened. I had to put the axel in the lug and with a quick burst push down to expose the damper rod. I had to grab it with a glove on and have a second pair of hands slide the rod holding tool under the lug nut. Not nearly as smooth of a process as the properly working fork.

Also at the stage when trying to remove the inner compression chamber the damper rod wouldn't stay completely extended (per the manual instruction.) I took apart the other fork and it behaved perfectly. 

Any suggestions on what the problem is? 

THANKS for the help!

Mx tech said if it sucks it back on , it's nearly always the ics seals , if it's sucks air it's normally the damper rod seal

you can tell with it off the bike, you will have zero compression damping but still some rebound. If it was me knowing what I know now Id replace all the seals at the same time.. for me the upper seals failed then the lowers did.. you can hear the lower seal leak under full compression if you are unsure. Just compress the cartridge on the bench and listen for it, if the uppers are bad when you flip it upside down you will hear it as well.