Sign in to follow this  

Which RM 250 for a woods bike?

I'm in the market for a new-to-me bike.  I've only been back on a bike for a little over a year, but I am really liking the idea of a two stroke for woods riding.  My plan is, if I buy a two stroke, is to put an FMF Gnarly and flywheel weight on it.  Here are a couple options in my area.  Which would you suggest?  My budget is $2000.  So that would have to include any upgrades.

This fits the budget better:

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/4616646367.html

But I'm thinking I could ride this for the rest of the season then do the modifications this winter after I save some $$$:

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/4604351906.html

Any advice is much appreciated.  

I'm in the market for a new-to-me bike.  I've only been back on a bike for a little over a year, but I am really liking the idea of a two stroke for woods riding.  My plan is, if I buy a two stroke, is to put an FMF Gnarly and flywheel weight on it.  Here are a couple options in my area.  Which would you suggest?  My budget is $2000.  So that would have to include any upgrades.

This fits the budget better:

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/4616646367.html

But I'm thinking I could ride this for the rest of the season then do the modifications this winter after I save some $$$:

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/4604351906.html

Any advice is much appreciated.  

Both of those would be great fun bikes. However, most people consider 04+ to be the best RM years. Most major changes were done by 04 and mostly small changes after that. Additionally, the 04 already as some thinks that are kind of important for offroad riding. It's got what looks like a works connection or Ricochet skid plate, a Devol front disc guard, bark busters  and an offroad tank. Those parts aren't cheap, and for woods you're probably going to end up doing them anyways. Also, anytime someone can say "have all receipts" is a big deal to me.

I'd ask what weight/skill the bike was valved and sprung for, but honestly, your going to valve/spring most likely for woods anyways. 

Also, "$2250 cash OBO" means he'll take $1800-$2000 cash. 

I'd make him an offer. 

• Like 1

I have an 04, and I actually got a few wins in woods racing with it,,,,besides that I love that bike,,,,,You can catch it on fire and roll It down a hill,,,but, I still wouldn't trade It for a coupe deville.......Dr.D..

• Like 1

The '04 for sure.  It already has bark busters, what looks like a USFS approved spark arrestor silencer and an oversize tank ~ major off-road bonuses.

00o0o_bNRHvuuI72g_600x450.jpg

Edited by zig06

He just texted back that he might take $2000.  He's going to the Utah National, so he's going think about it for the weekend.  I have a feeling he'll take it.  

Probably the only reason he wont is if he gets a better offer before he's back, which is what he's hoping for by giving himself the weekend. You can put pressure on him if he hasn't left yet by telling him that you are buying either his or another bike today, and that you are prepared to drive and pay cash right now. If not, maybe have a buddy call him/text him and offer him $1700 cash. Your offer will look a whole lot better then! :)

If it's clean with no major issues, that's a pretty good buy at 2K, around here anyways. 

That's a different picture in the ad now right? Looks like a TM design works rear disc guard...another nice addition. 

Edited by Kenpo1

That pic Zig posted is the bike.  It's been posted for a while now, so I'd be shocked if he got a better offer.  

The bike is sprung perfectly for me according to race tech's spring rate calculator, which is another huge plus. 

Anyway, fingers crossed.