Sign in to follow this  

Nobody's talking in the quad section ;P could use some helpful tips!

Hey guys I have a 01 400ex and I recently striped the whole thing and put all new seals in and just went over it all and wen I got it all back together I took it for a little test drive and it wouldn't go into 5th gear it would just act like it hit neutral... But if you would rev it real heigh it would pop into 5th and so I didn't have time to take it apart and look into it so I just left it but my little brothers have been driving it a lot and now it won't go into 5th at all... I was just wondering if anybody has ever had the same problem and what causes it? Any help would be great guys :) thanks

#nukethe......lol. Now to get serious, its been years since I had a 400 that far down. I can't remember if the shifting mechanism at the drum where the shift shaft meets the drum is the same as the 450 or not. Something could be wrong there but I would think you would have issues going into every gear. Did you have the transmission gears complete disassembled? Could be a bent fork but you would think you would have had the issue before. First thing to do would be pull the side cover off and inspect the spring mechanism. If you can't fix the problem there then you have no choice but to go back in.

Haha... And no I didn't take to whole gear assembly apart if I remember right I think the last gear came off so I stuck it back on. Could I have put it on wrong? Or backwards or something lol it shifts fine all the way to fifth gear....

Very well could have put it on backwards. Some of the tranny gears have an offset. If it was put on backwards it could be barely making contact with the mating gear