Sign in to follow this  

Manual cam chain tensioner adjustment

I put in the TT MCCT last weekend but am not very confident in how I adjusted the tension. The instructions say to turn over the engine with your hand while tightening the bolt with your fingers then back out 1/4 turn. The problem is "finger tight" isn't very specific. I have read you can overtighten it with your fingers. Anyways I used that method and just turned it over with one hand twisting with one hand (not twisting real hard just steady firm pressure twisting). 

Anyways I read about the rattle method on here. Well I decided to try that and ended up backing it out like 4-5 turns from where I had it without hearing chain rattle. At that point I got pretty uncomftorable with it being that loose and put it back where I had it. My engine has a lot of valve noise so it may 

been rattling and I was just unable to hear it over the valves.
Advice?

Its all done by feel and you have to know what is too tight and too loose.

MCCT are not for the unknowing in my &%$#@!-inated opinion.

Loosen the locking nut most of the way on the adjuster. Then loosen the adjuster. Then slide the o-ring far back to the right. With the o-ring off the spot where it will contact the base plate, it is much easier to feel it adjuster touch. You still don't get a whole lot of feel, but enough. 

Tighten the adjuster slowly till you feel the tension change or touch. Now, back the adjuster 3 turns. Slide the o-ring far forward. Tighten 3 turns, you are now back at the touch spot. I normally back it off one side of the hex nut from there, maybe less than a quarter turn or so.

Hope that made some sense?

Edited by restukey

Loosen the locking nut most of the way on the adjuster. Then loosen the adjuster. Then slide the o-ring far back to the right. With the o-ring off the spot where it will contact the base plate, it is much easier to feel it adjuster touch. You still don't get a whole lot of feel, but enough. 

Tighten the adjuster slowly till you feel the tension change or touch. Now, back the adjuster 3 turns. Slide the o-ring far forward. Tighten 3 turns, you are now back at the touch spot. I normally back it off one side of the hex nut from there, maybe less than a quarter turn or so.

Hope that made some sense?

Yeah that makes sense I'm just not sure how much tension. Rating tension lets say 0 is no tension and the bolt isn't touching the cam chain slide and 10 is as tight as you can get it with your fingers, where do I want it?

I've got it at about 7 now. Snug with a loose grip.

Edited by imbackmkay

I only have it touching the slide by feel, as soon as I feel the touch, then I mark the spot. I think its past your "0" rating? I don't really check it often either. I might do three or four oil changes and then check for adjustment. 

edit: read your post wrong. Not snug, that sounds way too tight.

Edited by restukey

I only have it touching the slide by feel, as soon as I feel the touch, then I mark the spot. I think its past your "0" rating? I don't really check it often either. I might do three or four oil changes and then check for adjustment. 

edit: read your post wrong. Not snug, that sounds way too tight.

So just take the slack out without much tension?

Its all done by feel and you have to know what is too tight and too loose.

MCCT are not for the unknowing in my &%$#@!-inated opinion.

dude... why do you post responses to threads essentially calling people stupid while not answering the question?

This smart ass response and the last thread I read in this forum you are saying drilling is beyond OP's mechanical ability wtf dude. Didn't your mom ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all?

yeah, m just turning the adjuster and then I feel the slightest change in tension. I assume that change in tension is the first touch to the chain slider. No issues doing it that way so far. I've gone through several pistons on my 07. 

Yeah that makes sense I'm just not sure how much tension. Rating tension lets say 0 is no tension and the bolt isn't touching the cam chain slide and 10 is as tight as you can get it with your fingers, where do I want it?

I've got it at about 7 now. Snug with a loose grip.

Ive been using a mcct for several years also and have a routine thats quick and easy to do. I always first turn the engine to TDC so theres no pressure being put on the cam chain from the valve springs. Then loosen the lock nut a couple of turns, then turn the adjuster out a turn or two and then start turning the adjuster in by hand until it touches the guide and puts a very slight amount of pressure on the chain. From this point I turn the adjuster in approx an eighth of turn more so there is a very small amount of pressure on it.

Going by the scale rating tension you mentioned above I estimate it would be at 2-3.

One other thing I would recomend to help you get a visual on whats happening as the adjuster is tightened, is the next time you have the valve cover off, set the engine at TDC loosen the tensioner and watch the cam sprocket as the chain starts to move when the slack is taken out with the adjuster. That way you can see and feel when the slack is out of the chain and what the final adjustment looks and feels like as you do it.