Sign in to follow this  

How do I stop my throttle (tube?) From sticking?

Hi everyone im having a problem with my throttle sticking when I pull it back. I thought adjusting the cqbles on the carb would help but it doesnt seem to. Any and all replies greatly appreciated thank everyone

I cant tell if its damaged how would I tell? And how would I lube them? Im sure being almost 10 years old a good lube would be nice for it. It was riding fine as far as I know

Disconnect the cables at the carb and slowly turn the throttle tube back and forth while listening to hear if the cable if frayed. If you hear a scratchy noise and feel resistance you most likely need a new cable. Or if it's the return cable that's binding up you can get rid of it all together, just be aware that's your safety line for letting off on the gas if the carb were to get stuck WOT. ( I have been running with one cable for over a year now)

Next you can use something like pb blaster to lube the cable. you can make a little funnel at the end of the cable with tape to ease getting the lube down the cable. (lube until it's coming out at the carb side).

You can also try blowing out all the grit under the trottle tube with compressed are or take the tube off and wipe it with a rag...Don't lube under the throttle tube, it will just collect grime, especially if you ride off road.

• Like 1

Make sure your cables are good, and lubed. And that your throttle tube is not rubbing the end of the bars. Don't ride if your throttle cable is damaged in anyway, that's a good way to end up in the hospital.

I rode one time with a frayed throttle cable. The bike started revving out so I pulled in the clutch, rolled the double, pulled off the track and killed it. When I cranked it again it was full throttle so I killed it and pushed it back. The bad thing was that I didn't even make a half a lap on the track and the little bitch that was leasing the track wouldn't refund my money.

Also look for kinks and places were the cable rubs other things, if it's worn through it should be replaced too. There is a tool for lubing cables, there is videos on YouTube if your confused.

I rode one time with a frayed throttle cable. The bike started revving out so I pulled in the clutch, rolled the double, pulled off the track and killed it. When I cranked it again it was full throttle so I killed it and pushed it back. The bad thing was that I didn't even make a half a lap on the track and the little bitch that was leasing the track wouldn't refund my money.

Not to be a dick but one could argue that your lack of maintenance is not their problem. Just sayin.

• Like 2

I got it to not stick. But does anyone have any recommendations for a chain roller? Mine is GONE!

• Like 1

Not to be a dick but one could argue that your lack of maintenance is not their problem. Just sayin.

It only takes half a lap for a crash to happen and for someone to get sued. I wouldn't give refunds either.

I got it to not stick. But does anyone have any recommendations for a chain roller? Mine is GONE!

I think it's OK to be without the upper roller...I just noticed mine was gone today.

Hi everyone im having a problem with my throttle sticking when I pull it back. I thought adjusting the cqbles on the carb would help but it doesnt seem to. Any and all replies greatly appreciated thank everyone

Clean the throttle housing and underneath the throttle tube and handlebar , make sure the throttle grip does not contact the bar .

if the cables and mounting are ok, clean it well and lube only with dry graphite, not an oil or grease. Graphite will make it smooth like butta.......

I think it's OK to be without the upper roller...I just noticed mine was gone today.

maybe the roller is there for a reason ? think about it... 

yes, the roller needs to be there. if it isn't expect to be replacing the stator side engine cover, and a few other things. 

OP - you need to pull off the throttle tube assembly and clean out the broken/frayed RETURN cable. its my experience that the return cable frays first, then the PULL cable. either way, you need new cables. the quick fix is the cut the RETURN cable so it won't lock the throttle wide open, while you order new cables. you'll want to remove the tank and seat to install the new ones when they come it. 

lube will not fix it. also, wd40 is not lube. 

as long as you're ok with the potential increased wear or damage, it's fine to run without the upper roller...or

engine oil, coolant or handlebars..

But it would be a heck of a lot better to spend 10 min and a few to replace the missing roller, washer and bolt.