Sign in to follow this  

The future...a compact, 25 lb, 80hp, 10,000 rpm, watercooled,...

...300 volt, brushless AC electric motor that fits in a standard CRF 250R or 450R chassis (or any other brand motocross bike, with slight modifications).

This motor will put out twice the torque at zero rpm than a stock CRF250R produces in first gear...seamless silent power from 0 to 70 mph...

Never in the wrong gear...as there is no shifting.

This is just a little teaser photo, in case you're wondering what the future motor looks like...

B70E3AD6-F144-400E-B9E7-86D16A6A088A_1.j

The design is almost ready to go to the CNC shop...

Randy

p.s. no more cleaning air filters, using this motor

• Like 4

I'm not sure if that'll weigh 25 lbs and put out 80hp, but it's cool none the less.

What about the battery?

I knew this question would be the first to come up, followed by a lame long extension cord answer.

The best lithium batteries available at this time in quick-swappable packs (a 10 second pit stop). And, batteries are getting better. It's amazing how much power can be taken out and put back into the new, state-of-the-art batteries.

Flip up the fake gas tank, undo a latch, yank out the depleted pack, and drop in a charged pack, and goooo again....the battery pack fits nicely above the motor and between the frame rails.

• Like 2

Since joking about the source of power is 'lame' how about giving a cost of purchase, cost of battery packs (since we can swap them), ability to charge 'in the field' and time to charge? Less lame? The motor has been the easy part of the problem of electric vehicles since rare earth magnets became affordable.

• Like 5

I knew this question would be the first to come up, followed by a lame long extension cord answer.

The best lithium batteries available at this time in quick-swappable packs (a 10 second pit stop). And, batteries are getting better. It's amazing how much power can be taken out and put back into the new, state-of-the-art batteries.

Flip up the fake gas tank, undo a latch, yank out the depleted pack, and drop in a charged pack, and goooo again....the battery pack fits nicely above the motor and between the frame rails.

So instead of pouring in another $10 worth of gas to go ride another round, you'll have to buy an extra $2500 battery.

I paid $2900 for my KX250 brand new, still in the crate.

No thanks.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 7

I will say this for new tech. The first PC that we bought was a Windows 95 Packard Bell. The list price was well upward of $1000. My smartphone has a much wider functionality range than that old PC (at least the tech is faster and much more advanced) less than twenty years later. It cost me $40 brand new. My point is not that electric dirtbikes are going to take the market by storm. I love my little smoker, and I have no intention of going to an electronic bike, at least until the tech is affordable. But enough of an initiative to drive advancement could see a future of people riding e-bikes right next to gas bikes in the woods, and maybe even a racing class for e-bikes. I don't think combustion tech will be going by the wayside in the near future, but don't discount a newcomer to the market either. That said, battery prices are a huge deterrent and there is no clear evidence of this issue going away any time soon. Plus the fact that battery packs eventually just go bad? Yeah, a battery rebuild is a huge expense. It would be cool to see more of this kind of tech being researched and put into use, but we are comfortable with gas and right now there is no doubt internal combustion tech is much cheaper to implement, run, and repair than anything else going.

• Like 1

I've been alive long enough to know that the future is never what they say it will be. 

I'm still waiting on my personal jet pack and my flying car.  :foul:

• Like 7

Since joking about the source of power is 'lame' how about giving a cost of purchase, cost of battery packs (since we can swap them), ability to charge 'in the field' and time to charge? Less lame? The motor has been the easy part of the problem of electric vehicles since rare earth magnets became affordable.

Ok, sorry about the 'lame' comment.

You have valid questions.

We're building two Gen2 electric CRF's now as "proof of concept" prototypes...These are basically "works bikes", with no expense spared. Yes, the first ones are expen$ive, as any new technology is. We're designing the conversion to be able to be massed produced in the future, which will bring the price way down.

Charging time with the new batteries is getting to the point where they can be charged as fast as they can be discharged, meaning it only needs two battery packs (one on the bike, one on the charger).

Our Gen1 CRF (built in 2008) has two heavy, 8" diameter cast iron motors, which left very little room for batteries (we used A123 lithium cells on Gen1), and we had about 15 minutes of full on motocross use between charges. That was 2008. Now, we have more robust batteries with 4 times the energy capacity in the same volume of space, and we have way more battery space with the one, compact motor shown above. Each pack should be good for at least 30 minutes of pro motocross use before the pack needs to be swapped.

We now have the funding to finish the first two prototypes (one for me and one for my brother Bob, the genius behind this endevor).

Gen2 electric CRF is moving ahead now rapidly. We should have the first two prototypes on the track within a few months from now, and when we do, I think most people will be really amazed what can be done with electric power and the control that goes along with it.

I DO know the electric motors will be way cheaper to produce and maintain than any gas powered engine.

Randy

• Like 3

Electric vehicles may be the future, but the future is not today. Cars are heavily subsidized, those that are not, are horribly expensive. The few electric bikes on the market cost clost to $15K and have a less than 30 minute run time.

Most cell phones real cost is close to $800, you pay $40 because you have a two year overpriced contract that makes you pay off the 'hidden costs' of the phone. That is what the 'buy out' is for

• Like 3

Electric vehicles may be the future, but the future is not today. Cars are heavily subsidized, those that are not, are horribly expensive. The few electric bikes on the market cost clost to $15K and have a less than 30 minute run time.

Most cell phones real cost is close to $800, you pay $40 because you have a two year overpriced contract that makes you pay off the 'hidden costs' of the phone. That is what the 'buy out' is for

Ok, that's why I titled this thread "the future"....

I wasn't around at the time, but I'm sure the first gas powered bikes made weren't as good or as fast as they are now.

Electric bike technology is still in it's infancy...I haven't been very impressed with any production electric bike yet either, but working on changing that.

No one is asking or telling anyone to give up their beloved gas powered dirtbikes. Silent, fast, easy to ride and maintain electric bikes will be an option for people to ride on their own home track any time they want without bothering their neighbors, or beat their gas-powered buddies on the motocross track....

Randy

• Like 2

Ok, sorry about the 'lame' comment.

You have valid questions.

We're building two Gen2 electric CRF's now as "proof of concept" prototypes...These are basically "works bikes", with no expense spared. Yes, the first ones are expen$ive, as any new technology is. We're designing the conversion to be able to be massed produced in the future, which will bring the price way down.

Charging time with the new batteries is getting to the point where they can be charged as fast as they can be discharged, meaning it only needs two battery packs (one on the bike, one on the charger).

Our Gen1 CRF (built in 2008) has two heavy, 8" diameter cast iron motors, which left very little room for batteries (we used A123 lithium cells on Gen1), and we had about 15 minutes of full on motocross use between charges. That was 2008. Now, we have more robust batteries with 4 times the energy capacity in the same volume of space, and we have way more battery space with the one, compact motor shown above. Each pack should be good for at least 30 minutes of pro motocross use before the pack needs to be swapped.

We now have the funding to finish the first two prototypes (one for me and one for my brother Bob, the genius behind this endevor).

Gen2 electric CRF is moving ahead now rapidly. We should have the first two prototypes on the track within a few months from now, and when we do, I think most people will be really amazed what can be done with electric power and the control that goes along with it.

I DO know the electric motors will be way cheaper to produce and maintain than any gas powered engine.

Randy

You still didn't address the issue of battery cost. If you truly do have abusiness plan in the works, then you must surely already have a battery design and source in mind, and an idea of what it will cost.

Or are you just winging this and hoping you can make it work? I truly hope not, a worse business model you couldn't have if that's the case.

I am impressed but also disguested? Maybe not disgusted as it truly is impressive, i just do not want these types of technologies advancing as selfish as that is, i love gas engines and anything that could come to phase them out is a bit of an enemy to me.

• Like 2

Sure, lets have another revolution of more expensive bikes take over. That'll be great for the sport.

• Like 2

I don't have a contract for my phone. I'm on straight talk. I paid full price for it. And yes, it is old, outdated, and crappy, but the point is it's still way ahead of the old stuff that took up an entire desk.