Sign in to follow this  

Head light vs Helmet light

I want to get some sort of lighting system so I can go on trail rides at night, but I'm not sure if I should go through the process of mounting a headlight to my bike or getting a helmet head light system.  I've been researching both options and I feel like it would cost about the same $$ to do either.  I think I'm leaning towards a helmet light system.  What do you guy think?

Also open to suggestion for either mounted light or head light systems.

Thanks!

T

Edited by TommyRo

On what type of bike? Depending on the bike, you might be able to mount the a headlight to it. The advantage is you don't have a total loss system like a battery. But if you bike is not capable of powering a headlight, then a battery setup is the way to go. With a battery you can either choose to mount it on your bike or helmet, it really is personal preference...

I prefer both so it will open options in the future if you want to participate in racing activities.  If I was just trail riding I'd go with the Cyclops Solstice helmet mounted light and some batteries.  I've ran this light solo in endurance races at night and was very happy with it.  I believe Pastrana ran it solo in the Baja without a headlight.  It's not too heavy and works very well.  There's a number of bike mounted options out there from most of the main players in the industry and the options are large.  LED technology is really improving and seems to on par, if not better than the HID technology.  Halogen is cheap and may work for your needs but you will be sacrificing performance in most conditions other than extreme dust.

My setup is a Bike mounted HID 8" Trailtech running off of bike power with a helmet mounted battery powered light.  I'm looking to sell the 8" light probably in favor of a LED setup.