Sign in to follow this  

New to 4strokes w/ 2010 YZ250F "Limited Edition"

Good evening folks! I'm new to TT and just wanted to introduce myself. Also I am about to do a couple mods to my bike (had it for about a month)...wanted to hear some feedback (positive and negative) on my choices and any constructive criticism on what you guys suggest to create a monster of a 250f.

As of right now, I just purchased a brand new Yoshimura RS-4 full exhaust with the carbon fiber tip and a Boyesen QuickShot 2 accelerator pump cover. I'm currently in limbo on which jet kit to purchase, but as of right now it looks like I'm going to purchase the DynoJet Stage 1 kit.

Picked up the accelerator pump cover yesterday and just order the exhaust today and it should be in next week some time. Any suggestions for a jet kit and additional mods for the bike? I ride trails mostly but trying to build a good strong bike that I could take to the track if I got the urge. Thank you in advance for all of the help!

x2... get the suspension done or all the power in the world is useless. 

After the suspension is done... if you want a monster, you will want to look into cams, HC piston, porting, stronger and lighter crank, head mods, upgraded valves, upgrading the water pump, timing map changes etc. etc.

Edited by BDubb106

Want a monster, get the suspension done for your speed and riding style. Power is nothing on a bike that won't handle or hookup...

Definitely agree with your comment. Currently it has a KYB KB5 suspension on it...any suggestions on a nice suspension for a "big" rider like myself (I'm 6'2" 215lbs)

You def need a revalve and springs. The Yamaha has really good boingers on it in the first place. If you get them dialed they can be magical.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

You def need a revalve and springs. The Yamaha has really good boingers on it in the first place. If you get them dialed they can be magical.

Hey thanks BDubb...gonna look into that as soon as I slap this exhaust on it and get it jetted. Appreciate the help!

• Like 1

JD jet kit...

Decided to go with the JD kit as well. Taking my bike to the shop on Tuesday, pretty excited to see the difference after all of the installations.

get the suspension set up first handlin is the most important thing. that yoshi should take care of the power department.

Hey I noticed you are from PA. What part. I also have a '10 and I have quite a bit done to mine. I have my suspension done by MPR in Pittsburgh. They do great work. The stock stuff is pretty good but the 10-11 arent' quite as balanced / dialed in, stock as the 12-13. You can pm me about specifics if so and maybe I can help you. Otherwise, as Bdubb said, there is a lot to look into to build these motors. I wouldn't say mine is a 'monster' by any means but it is very rideable and plenty fast. With some work, you can get it to run how you want. Def get the suspension dialed in though.

• Like 1

Hey I noticed you are from PA. What part. I also have a '10 and I have quite a bit done to mine. I have my suspension done by MPR in Pittsburgh. They do great work. The stock stuff is pretty good but the 10-11 arent' quite as balanced / dialed in, stock as the 12-13. You can pm me about specifics if so and maybe I can help you. Otherwise, as Bdubb said, there is a lot to look into to build these motors. I wouldn't say mine is a 'monster' by any means but it is very rideable and plenty fast. With some work, you can get it to run how you want. Def get the suspension dialed in though.

Hey there....I'm actually from the eastern part of PA. About 40 west of Philly. Gonna look into getting the suspension done during the winter. Do ever come out this way with your bike?

I have never been that far out. Mid-state at farthest. Either way, I'd be more than happy to try to give you any advice if you need it (as I'm sure many other on the board will). Enjoy the bike!

I have never been that far out. Mid-state at farthest. Either way, I'd be more than happy to try to give you any advice if you need it (as I'm sure many other on the board will). Enjoy the bike!

Thanks man! Def appreciate all of the help.

Ok so I get the bike back tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked. Here's a list of the things that I had done:

Twin Air filter

Boyesen QuickShot 2 accelerator pump cover

Yoshimura RS-4 full exhaust w/ 99db insert

JD jet kit

New spark plug

New O rings

Gold D.I.D. 520 x ring chain

Pillow top grips

Can't wait to hear what it sounds like and take it for a spin. Can anybody with a similar set up give me an idea of what I can expect. Def hoping for more mid and high end.

It will be better but not night and day. That bike is more effective in the low-mid of the powerband (not that it is a bad thing). Just ride it to it's strengths and don't try to over-rev it and you are good to go. The Moto Tassinari Air4orce (with short stack inserted) helped. Otherwise, you need head/cams to get the bike to really scream up top. But that doesn't mean what you have now is nto an effective power curve. I think you will like it with your set up, just don't expect a high-revving screamer. Enjoy.

250f's aren't monsters. Even after you build it. A stock 450 will still have at least 10 horse on your bike. Of course the strength of a 250f is that it is not a monster. Get your suspension dialed in and work on crazy fast corner speed. That is where your 250f shines. I am not trying to pick an argument with you I just don't want you to miss what is so awesome about the smaller bike. Good luck.

• Like 1

JD jet kit in my 2005 wr250f and a #40 leak jet.  don't the boyesen quickshot in my opinion, the #40 leak jet does the same thing much cheaper.   

• Like 1

I have an 2011 and I'm from Pa. About 20 mins south of Lancaster. How are the prices at MPR?

I have an 2011 and I'm from Pa. About 20 mins south of Lancaster. How are the prices at MPR?

Hey, where are you located? I live in the Downingtown area. I'm always down to do some riding