Sign in to follow this  

Yellow "balancing dot" on Dunlop tires

I recently learned that the yellow circle/dot on Dunlop tires (eg. MX32's) is supposed to be aligned with the valve stem (according to Dunlop's site). Presumably because it is the lightest part of the tire, but I would think the rimlock is heavier than the valve stem, so why shouldn't that be the point of alignment rather than the valve stem? Any tire techies here that can explain this?

That is the actual purpose of that dot.  And you are also correct in thinking that the rim lock is heavier, so positioning the dot there would bring it closer to balanced.  However, unless the bike is used on pavement, it's kind of a waste of time to balance the wheels, IMO. 

That is the actual purpose of that dot. And you are also correct in thinking that the rim lock is heavier, so positioning the dot there would bring it closer to balanced. However, unless the bike is used on pavement, it's kind of a waste of time to balance the wheels, IMO.

Yes, you could be correct, but it's a cheap and easy way to get the best balance with a minimum effort.

I always put the dot at the rimlock also, but in wheels I've taken the time to balance it hasn't always came out right. Sometimes have shifted the dot to the other side and they took less weight to balance?    Sometimes the tire manufactures charts will tell if they have a balance dot, and say "NO", but you'll find a dot on the tire anyway. has made me wonder if the dot was something other than balance?  Color of the dot can means something also on car tires, low spot, weight etc.

I always put the dot at the rimlock also, but in wheels I've taken the time to balance it hasn't always came out right. Sometimes have shifted the dot to the other side and they took less weight to balance?    Sometimes the tire manufactures charts will tell if they have a balance dot, and say "NO", but you'll find a dot on the tire anyway. has made me wonder if the dot was something other than balance?  Color of the dot can means something also on car tires, low spot, weight etc.

The yellow dot is supposed to be the light spot on the tire.  The street bike tires I got have a red circle (hollow) on them, which is supposedly the "high" point on the tire.  This should still be lined up with the heaviest point on the rim, but if you're static-balancing the tire it won't seem like the dot is correct.  If you had one of those fancy digital balancers that loads the tire and spins it, you'd see the least weight required lining up the high-point with the heaviest spot on the rim.  If you don't then you should see it balance easier with the tire's light-point lined up with the heavy spot on the rim 

We were taught that the yellow dot should be on the valve stem of the rim. This was implemented by Chevy when the Corvette's wheels wouldn't balance right so they implemented the "low-high" spots of the tire with the dots to make them easier to balance.

We would just balance the wheel if the dot on the tire was in a different spot than the valve stem. Doesn't make too much of a difference in my opinion.

We were taught that the yellow dot should be on the valve stem of the rim. This was implemented by Chevy when the Corvette's wheels wouldn't balance right so they implemented the "low-high" spots of the tire with the dots to make them easier to balance.

We would just balance the wheel if the dot on the tire was in a different spot than the valve stem. Doesn't make too much of a difference in my opinion.

emmm but a rimlock weights like 302984039840938x what the valve stem weights

I did notice a substantial difference with the MX 32 with the ( B) dot lined up with the bead lock. Feeling was very noticeable in the air... just throwing the tire on there, I could actually get the rear suspension to jump up and down in the air with throttle. LOL. Maybe its the placebo effect, but im happy with the dot lined up(with something).