Sign in to follow this  

04 CR 250 Restoration

Hi New time poster, long time reader

I receintly purchased a 04 250 and am going through the bike as i always do with all my CR's. I am an older rider in my 40's and will be using this bike on trails and around my property.

My first question is that i've read a lot about the pwk carb conversion?

I have a spare carb from a 00 model 250, would this be a simple carb to convert onto my 04, if so what jetting would you guys recommend, i live at around 1500ft elevation. The bike has boyseen reeds and Pro Curcuit "WORKS" pipe and silencer, new oem piston and rings.

Also would you's recommend dropping the rear sprocket down to a 48 and keep a 13 on the front

Thanks for reading and any comments

Will upload some pics in a month or 2 when its all finished with my other CR'S in my collection

Cheers.

Your 2000 carb is a good carb to swap out the TMX, and since you're just trail riding, the PWK will be a better carb for trail riding. 

Before jetting it for your bike, you may want to get some additional jets and mains. 

like some 45,48,50 pilots and 175, 178, 180 mains.

Then with the stock needle in 3rd clip, I'd start w/ a 48 pilot and 178 main, and then you can fine tune it from there.

Also, for trail riding, I personally don't think you would like a smaller rear sprocket. Wouldn't you like a lower gearing versus higher?

Thanks for the help guys,

I will give the 00 PWK carb a go and start with your recommendations,

I mentioned the 48 rear as i have that combination on my 97 CR250 and dont mind the way it performs on trail rides etc..

Thanks again for all your help guys, 

I just put the 00 PWK on my 04 and boy does it sound and go sweet now, i started out with a 45pj and 174mj and needle clip at 3rd position.

The bike started first kick and is way way more responsive, thats with it just sitting in my shed, cant ride it yet as ive sent the rear shock away to be rebuilt.

Thanks again guys and will upload some pics in a few weeks when its all done, hopefully.