Sign in to follow this  

Track watering 101.

I'll start this with "These are only my opinions. I'm by no means an expert ."  I'm venting because last week I had a tank slapping incident in some rollers after a big jump. It was caused by a sheet of water over hard packed dirt, making it slimey.  I didn't hit the ground, but the left / right / left tank slap torqued the crap out of my shoulder.

Water in dirt = good

Water on dirt = bad

I used to race pretty regularly but became frustrated by well meaning people manning watering hoses like they were filling swimming pools.  When I ride or race and am feeling the flow, I'm riding on the edge of my ability to keep control and traction. During races I have the track conditions down for the different sections of track. It drives me nuts when on the next lap I find the hard pack covered in a sheet of water and slippery like snot.  I back way off in fear of laying it down.  Or the same well meaning guy, hosing down a jump face that I was previously laying the bike over on.  I have seen guys throttling up faces only to  spin a 180* in to major yard sales.

It seems like its either a non-rider or a really slow guy doing the watering.  I wish there were some standardized rules of etiquette for watering.  It is unsafe to water during a race .  Not only are the participants at the edge of control, but it also causes vision obstruction if the spray isn't moved in time. 

I stopped racing with a particular socal club because it was so rampant and the club leadership was indifferent. 

I've never seen watering going on during a national or supercross race. Because it is unsafe. 

Does anyone else feel the same? Different? Indifferent?

i completely agree, especially riding in southern ca where most the tracks are hard packed. i just don't understand the thinking behind over watering tracks to the point where you have to tip toe around em for 30min until the track becomes rideable again. if its late in the day and they throw down a ton of water i usually just pack up and leave, not even worth waiting until the track is good again

Yea, I agree as well. If you are not going to turn the track over, what is the point of watering it?

They water our tracks during race day and practice but they also keep the track dug up so it takes the water really well. For the first couple laps it can be a little sloppy but after those couple laps it is perfect!

Your probably the guy that complains if the track is too rutted or dusty, aren't you..?  Most of you Cali guys are like that, stop whining and just be glad your track is getting water. 

• Like 1

My track is sand, no amount of watering can make it pack up or become slippery.

Generally they hire cute girls to man the hoses too, love when they water while were riding. Idc I ride under the stream if it's a hot enough day

Your probably the guy that complains if the track is too rutted or dusty, aren't you..?  Most of you Cali guys are like that, stop whining and just be glad your track is getting water. 

But I'm in kalifornia, home of the toughest , roughest  biggest tracks in the world. None other compare  - Tye

• Like 1

Poor watering is a pet peeve of mine.  At MMX...the owners keep the to same watering schedule during the day, regardless of weather.  So on a cool day, the track ends up with deep combed ruts in landing zones in the landings...and novices crashing all over the place and no one has a clue why.