Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Ryan V. Best SX'er ever ? article.

This may have been posted already , but anyway it's an article in cycleworld this month penned by Davey Coombs.

It's a decent mini Bio on his career really.  Mcgrath's comments kinda sum it up..

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/23/monster-energy-kawasaki-rider-ryan-villopoto-the-best-supercrosser-ever/

Edited by SUnruh
fixed link
  • Like 1

Villo has and opportunity to be the greatest champion of all time  whats that like G-coat  ah i got it ill call him the "reign goat"  RANGO!

Edited by phantom451

Man, I dislike Rv2 even more now after this article. He takes this wonderful job for granted. He some how doesn't understand that hundreds of thousands of people would take his place in a moment. This dude needs to get out of this sport already.. yeah he is the BEST in this era plain and simple. But he makes riding dirt bikes seem barely tolerable. So sad.

• Like 1

Man, I dislike Rv2 even more now after this article. He takes this wonderful job for granted. He some how doesn't understand that hundreds of thousands of people would take his place in a moment. This dude needs to get out of this sport already.

I couldn't disagree with you more. He absolutely doesn't take it for granted, if he did he would be like J-Law or a hundred thousand other people who don't have what it takes. Villopoto has worked as hard as anyone to achieve what he has, I also think guys like Canard have worked just as hard and are as talented but don't have the hardware due to some things outside their control... BUT that doesn't change the fact that RV works has worked his ass off to do what he has, which tells me he doesn't take it for granted. 

When he says something like, my sponsors have paid me XX dollars to win races and championships, and he talks about the pressure that puts on him. Does that sound like someone who is taking things for granted? Or like someone who feels the pressure to perform? And perform he has done there is no question about that. 

Some folks get hung up on the fact that he says he can walk away from it all and be happy, I say good for him. He wont be the type of guy who expects anything when he decides not to continue. 

I know introducing James into this is dangerous but I think the comparison is worthwhile for obvious reasons so here goes. 

Do you a guy like RV takes his job for granted,RV has trained as hard as anyone, had some serious injuries and came back stronger in extremely short amounts of time, there is no denying he has been a MACHINE since turning pro. 

Or does a guy like James who hasn't finished a single season out of the past 10-11 seasons, many of which he was still capable of riding and faked injuries or gave misleading information as to why he wasn't racing, or wanted to make a TV show, and still expects to be paid big bucks after bouncing around from team to team and burning bridges take things for granted. 

Or J-Law.

There is more I could name and explain too but I think you get the point I'm trying to make. RV seems to take this job very seriously, the fact that he is willing to walk away doesn't mean he takes it for granted. 

• Like 16

The guy can ride a bike well, I think we all know that. But it seems like hes just racing for a paycheck, numerous articles and videos have stated that RV would have no problem stepping away. Hundreds of thousands of people sitting at desks all day would kill to travel the road he has. So forgive us if we notice that some guy talks about "stress," at the level he is at when some of us are stressed about things that actually matter.

• Like 1

I think he takes it extremely serious. Its not just his livelyhood and legacy, it's the entire team and sponsors. He's right.....he's not paid the big $$$ (from this sports standards) to be complacent with just top 5 or so. Thats a lot of pressure for someone as young as these guys are. I still remember my own father telling me when I was just a kid...."son, you can do what ever you want to do, but what ever you do, make sure you are the best at it".... That can be some serious shit for a kid to take on and I think RV expects that same attitude of himself and so do others.

But.....if he did walk away now or didnt even win another title for that matter, he would still be considered one of the best ever no matter what. I hope he comes back but if he doesn't thats ok to because it was a hell of a run.

• Like 6

The guy can ride a bike well, I think we all know that. But it seems like hes just racing for a paycheck, numerous articles and videos have stated that RV would have no problem stepping away. Hundreds of thousands of people sitting at desks all day would kill to travel the road he has. So forgive us if we notice that some guy talks about "stress," at the level he is at when some of us are stressed about things that actually matter.

If RV were racing for a paycheck he would have packed up his shit and left after he had a few million in the bank and a big injury, lots of people said he wouldn't come back after his leg injury, if he wanted out and to just live comfortably he could have done it then. I guarantee you his pride and determination are what brought him back, and stronger than ever 

I do think you're right that people would kill to do the things that RV has done, however I don't think they would do what RV has done to accomplish everything he has. Lot's and lots of people murder someone each year, there's only one SX champion though. Think about that....   And then ask yourself if those people sitting at the desks would eat the diet he has to eat, train the way he has to train, recover from injuries, and a whole host of other things in order to accomplish what he has? I don't take murder lightly and I know you said it in jest but it's probably easier to murder someone than it is to be the supercross champion...   

Much less a 4X in a row SX Champion..... 

• Like 1

You really know nothing until your in someone else's shoes...
  • Like 2

I couldn't disagree with you more. He absolutely doesn't take it for granted, if he did he would be like J-Law or a hundred thousand other people who don't have what it takes. Villopoto has worked as hard as anyone to achieve what he has, I also think guys like Canard have worked just as hard and are as talented but don't have the hardware due to some things outside their control... BUT that doesn't change the fact that RV works has worked his ass off to do what he has, which tells me he doesn't take it for granted. 

When he says something like, my sponsors have paid me XX dollars to win races and championships, and he talks about the pressure that puts on him. Does that sound like someone who is taking things for granted? Or like someone who feels the pressure to perform? And perform he has done there is no question about that. 

Some folks get hung up on the fact that he says he can walk away from it all and be happy, I say good for him. He wont be the type of guy who expects anything when he decides not to continue. 

I know introducing James into this is dangerous but I think the comparison is worthwhile for obvious reasons so here goes. 

Do you a guy like RV takes his job for granted,RV has trained as hard as anyone, had some serious injuries and came back stronger in extremely short amounts of time, there is no denying he has been a MACHINE since turning pro. 

Or does a guy like James who hasn't finished a single season out of the past 10-11 seasons, many of which he was still capable of riding and faked injuries or gave misleading information as to why he wasn't racing, or wanted to make a TV show, and still expects to be paid big bucks after bouncing around from team to team and burning bridges take things for granted. 

Or J-Law.

There is more I could name and explain too but I think you get the point I'm trying to make. RV seems to take this job very seriously, the fact that he is willing to walk away doesn't mean he takes it for granted. 

Very well put Squid.  I actually agree with you and quite frankly that pisses me off.  Ruined my whole Friday.  :p

• Like 2

Very well put Squid. I actually agree with you and quite frankly that pisses me off. Ruined my whole Friday. :p

Hey when you're right, you're right ;-)
  • Like 1

If he's so unhappy why continue ?

Hundreds of thousands of people think they want to travel the road he has because they have no clue that they couldn't do it. That's why so few succeed the way the top guys do. They have a drive and commitment that allows them to survive the stress and pressure, as well as the physical pounding they take both racing and training. It's almost nonstop for the most part for the top guys. The average guy couldn't do more than a month before they fold. He's been on this path most of his life.

Yes he talks about stress. You don't think he has the right to feel stress about meeting his sponsors expectations since they pay him huge sums of money for his skills? You don't thin he feels the pressure of the fans who follow him? You don't think he realizes it's not just his paycheck on the line, but that of every support person on that team from the manager, mechanics, driver, all the way down to the gopher who gets all the crap jobs? That's a lot of people whose well being depends solely on you and your performance. So while you think what he does isn't that important or that he has no right to complain about stress, think about all of what he deals with, not just riding.

• Like 5

Man, I dislike Rv2 even more now after this article. He takes this wonderful job for granted. He some how doesn't understand that hundreds of thousands of people would take his place in a moment. This dude needs to get out of this sport already.. yeah he is the BEST in this era plain and simple. But he makes riding dirt bikes seem barely tolerable. So sad.

And how long would they take his place? A season? A month? one race? Before they got sick of the grind, of the off track stuff they have to do? The test riding? The travel? Besides Trey Canard who has been hurt so bad so often that he truly is just happy to be here, name one rider who truly seems happy doing this.

I would like to see these guys daily schedules for a SX season. I'd like to see what they really think of the death drome tracks they have to ride. Name another sport where guys who are doing well know it's simply a very short matter of time before they're hurt. Name another sport where 17 and 18 and 19 year olds are in the best days of their lives and 24 and 25 year olds are already having to figure out what to do, very soon, with the rest of their lives.

I love dirt bike riding and I love watching the pros but, our sport has a sickness to it; Way too many excellent riders and nowhere near enough money making its way around.

• Like 2

If its so bad get out of it !!! No one forces him to race , he doesn't need the paycheck like 99% of us

And how long would they take his place? A season? A month? one race? Before they got sick of the grind, of the off track stuff they have to do? The test riding? The travel? Besides Trey Canard who has been hurt so bad so often that he truly is just happy to be here, name one rider who truly seems happy doing this.

I would like to see these guys daily schedules for a SX season. I'd like to see what they really think of the death drome tracks they have to ride. Name another sport where guys who are doing well know it's simply a very short matter of time before they're hurt. Name another sport where 17 and 18 and 19 year olds are in the best days of their lives and 24 and 25 year olds are already having to figure out what to do, very soon, with the rest of their lives.

I love dirt bike riding and I love watching the pros but, our sport has a sickness to it; Way too many excellent riders and nowhere near enough money making its way around.

Agree with you but motocross isn't the only sport that is that way. In PBR, it's just a matter of time until 2000 lbs of pissed off hamburger gets a piece of you. Football, although the stars make far more $, has a life expectancy of about 4 years, then what do they do? Most often, they don't even have an education because the university who used their talents to make money didn't pay them a dime and don't care if they graduate or not. Lots of hard luck stories in sports...it sucks, but their business is entertainment and when they cant perform anymore...they must cope with the reality like the rest of us.

Agree with you but motocross isn't the only sport that is that way. In PBR, it's just a matter of time until 2000 lbs of pissed off hamburger gets a piece of you. Football, although the stars make far more $, has a life expectancy of about 4 years, then what do they do? Most often, they don't even have an education because the university who used their talents to make money didn't pay them a dime and don't care if they graduate or not. Lots of hard luck stories in sports...it sucks, but their business is entertainment and when they cant perform anymore...they must cope with the reality like the rest of us.

Excellent point about PBR.  As for the NFL, they put NOTHING on the line anywhere near MX or PBR. I agree about the window of opportunity though.

Good post, bud.  Cheers!