Sign in to follow this  

Dirtbike Spark Problem

Hey every one, new person to the forum here. I have a problem: My 2001 yz 250 wont spark its plug.

What i have done to help fix but have failed: Cleaned connections, sanded post where igniton mounts onto frame, took off fly wheel, stator, and pickup and cleaned them all with contact cleaner and wire brush.

What i know: I also have a 2006 CRF 230F in my garage. If i take the plug cap off my YZ and put it on my CRF and put the YZ's plug in the cap the CRF will spark the plug. If i put my CRF plug cap on my YZ and put the CRF plug in it than my YZ will Spark the CRF plug. My CRF sparks its own plug but my YZ wont spark its own plug. 

Any help would be appreciated.

It's fouled. Get a new plug.

Also, I wouldn't advise putting different plugs in engines. There's a chance of the piston hitting it and causing some damage.

Seriously, don't ever.

Your plug has fouled from a buildup of carbon from it most likely running rich. The carbon coated the plug and doesn't conduct.

Post a pic of the plug if you can so we can see it's color.

Buy a few extra plugs because it happens from time to time.

I never threaded the plug into cylinder i just tested for spark. Ya know tho ole plug on cylinder test haha

It's fouled. Get a new plug.

Also, I wouldn't advise putting different plugs in engines. There's a chance of the piston hitting it and causing some damage.

Seriously, don't ever.

Your plug has fouled from a buildup of carbon from it most likely running rich. The carbon coated the plug and doesn't conduct.

Post a pic of the plug if you can so we can see it's color.

Buy a few extra plugs because it happens from time to time.

But on another note, how come my CRF and lawnmower spark the supposed "fouled" plug? 

Get a couple of new (recommended) plugs for the Yamaha and try that.

I have witnessed a plug that would spark just fine when laid up against the engine, but would not start the bike.

But on another note, how come my CRF and lawnmower spark the supposed "fouled" plug? 

Sorry, I got confused by the description.

I understood it that your YZ sparked the CRF plug, the CRF sparked it's own plug, but neither would spark the YZ's.

Sorry, I got confused by the description.

I understood it that your YZ sparked the CRF plug, the CRF sparked it's own plug, but neither would spark the YZ's.

Yeah , try a new and correct plug

I had the correct plug in it (BR8EG). And yes, the CRF sparked its own plug and the YZ sparked the CRF's plug and the CRF also sparked the YZ's plug