Sign in to follow this  

Best clear coat to use for frame protection?

Hi all, im plastidipping a frame. Im set on that. So please no "just powdercoat it" or "bring it to a paint shop" because im a broke 16 year old.

That said, im looking for a very strong clear coat. One that can take a hit or two and hold up. Its for a vintage resto, so its gonna see more show than dirt. It can be sprayable, I have a sprayer, but for sake of ease I'd pefer it come in a spraycan. That thing is a pain to use.

Im willing to slap on as many coats as it needs. Reccomendations? Even like a automotive clear coat. Something strong.

Thanks guys

3M clear vinyl on the frame tubes where your boots rub...I don't know about chip protection on the lower sections though.

Really, that will stop boot wear? Because that way I could probably do the pegs, brake pedal, clutch cover and other high wear parts in plastidip.

3M Clear vinyl. Ill remember that. Thanks.

I knew that was coming.

Whys that?

I don't know if you've used plastidip before, or not, but it rubs of fairly easy. I sprayed my plastic rear brake caliper guard, which gets pretty much zero contact, and it had started to peal from washing.

Just powder coat it, you should be able to get it done for under $125.

I don't know if you've used plastidip before, or not, but it rubs of fairly easy. I sprayed my plastic rear brake caliper guard, which gets pretty much zero contact, and it had started to peal from washing.

Just powder coat it, you should be able to get it done for under $125.

Alright, alright. Ill think about it. But could that change with an enamel?

If you want a black frame, this is the stuff: http://www.por15.com/TOP-COAT_p_102.html

Gas, brake fluids, acetone, brake/carb cleaner doesnt do a thing to it. Very durable as well. I only have a few chips and small wear areas from boots rubbing. Nice thing is you can touch it up.

And I think you are saying you want to clear coat the plastidip?  I don't see that working at all.

Edited by H-B-R

Plasti dip is not going to last on your dirt bike...Between the fact its designed to PEEL OFF and it has no real hardener in it. If you want to plasti dip your stuff keep extra cans because you're going to need it for re-application.

I'm going to be painting my frame this winter I would look into ag implement paint. It's for tractors. I'm sure you can find a color that will suit it's a single stage and hold up like no other paint I've messed with. I got every thing it needed got 40 bucks and will have plenty of extra paint

The ice bucket challenge is a good thing. It is to raise awareness, and funds for als. Learn something

I know exactly what it's for. Getting attention on Facebook and not sending a cent to ALS.

• Like 3

Urethane paints are the toughest and most duarable of all the paints, also very chemical resistant.

On my last frame repaint I used VHT urethane wheel paint, it is durable and chip resistant.  I then clear coated it with Varathane clear urethane, from Home Depot. 

I know exactly what it's for. Getting attention on Facebook and not sending a cent to ALS.

Like I said. Learn something. That goes for the likers of your post, and any other haters too http://mashable.com/2014/08/20/als-ice-bucket-challenge-haters/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

Edited by 717 MOTORSPORTS
  • Like 1

As to the plisti-dips... It just won't last even after one ride. That stuff would probably be great for prepped/sanded body plastics, tanks, etc. but not for an off-road frame.

I'm restoring a 94 YZ250 right now. I'm going to blast and powder-coat the frame back to the original purple. My issue is I priced this in San Antonio and discovered they want about $250. My Father ran a blasting company years ago and gets his restorations done for much cheaper. Anyone know what a reasonable price should be... San Antonio answers are extremely welcome, but anyone's answers are appreciated.

Edited by Shaskan