Sign in to follow this  

Canadian MX2 Pro Champion (250-2, Wins) vs 250-4

Not a KTM Fan but Fair Competition = KTM 250 SX wins Overall Candaian MX2 - (10) Race Series

Benoit-Walton.jpg?f1d87c

Royal Distributing Fox Head Canada KTM rider Kaven Benoit clinches the MX2 CMRC Canadian Championship aboard his KTM 250SX two-stroke!
Kaven was the points leader and red plate holder heading into the final round of the championship at Walton Raceway in Ontario. Kaven arrived at Walton Raceway with a 42 point lead over 2nd place. In order for Kaven to clinch the championship, he needed to earn 9 points. Not only did he do so, but he earned a solid 2nd place overall finish on the day.

http://www.mxandoffroad.com/multimedia.html

http://www.cmrcracing.com/benoit-medaglia-go-1-3-championship/

safe_image.php?d=AQCLDNzj8rLL1ryd&w=484&

• Like 2

2Ts are allowed to race against 250 4ts in Aussie pro mx and it's no surprise that they're the choice of almost everyone who buys their own spare parts. KTM and husky are most popular, followed by YZ250. My Dad raved about balanced look of the TM 250 in very deep and rough terrain compared with the rest of the field. 'Fairness' as been a hot topic this year for that series and this is a little web article with opinions from race team owners, racers and promoters: http://www.motoonline.com.au/2014/07/31/point-two-stroke-vs-four-stroke-solutions/

Edited by Swappa
  • Like 1

2Ts are allowed to race against 250 4ts in Aussie pro mx and it's no surprise that they're the choice of almost everyone who buys their own spare parts. KTM and husky are most popular, followed by YZ250. My Dad raved about balanced look of the TM 250 in very deep and rough terrain compared with the rest of the field. 'Fairness' as been a hot topic this year for that series and this is a little web article with opinions from race team owners, racers and promoters: http://www.motoonline.com.au/2014/07/31/point-two-stroke-vs-four-stroke-solutions/

Good post. I enjoyed reading the perspectives though there is nothing shocking. The 2t guys want it left alone because they blow doors off the 4t guys, the 4t guys want changes. The mod restriction on the 2t seems to be the best idea. Edited by D4N63R

Funny. You don't have to look far in this forum to find people who swear up and down that four strokes are better, faster and cheaper...right up until they actually have to go head to head with a two stroke. Then they start to talk about their career. Wherein they get the big bucks to sell the four stroke myth.

Spare me that four stroke crap. 

Funny. You don't have to look far in this forum to find people who swear up and down that four strokes are better, faster and cheaper...right up until they actually have to go head to head with a two stroke. Then they start to talk about their career. Wherein they get the big bucks to sell the four stroke myth.

Spare me that four stroke crap.

Well to be fair. The 250f was built to replace the 125. This is 250 vs 250. The comments would be the other way around if it was 450f vs 250. No one with half a brain will say a 250f will beat a 250 2t.

My 250f will blow the doors off a 125. Ha.

Well to be fair. The 250f was built to replace the 125. This is 250 vs 250. The comments would be the other way around if it was 450f vs 250. No one with half a brain will say a 250f will beat a 250 2t.

People over estimate the power of a 250 2t vs a 250 4t. Though a 2t will be more powerful, there is no question a 250f is easier to ride. They put down better traction, generally have better feeling suspension, less vibration, and a wider spread of power. I don't think any 1 bike a is better, just different. Results prove that neither bike seems to have an advantage over the other while racing at a pro level...

• Like 2

I switched to a 250f from a 250 2t. I'm pro 4 stroke for every reason you listed.

Edited by D4N63R

Funny that it was fair for 250f running against 125 smokers, but now they whine about fairness when they don't have a 50% advantage. MXA says it right about smokers. Cheaper out of the box, lighter, easier to maintain and faster and you can't forget not near as loud. The AMA will never allow the smokers to run as all they care about is the status quo and trying to keep Harleys relevant in mile racing. :ride:

Craigus

Funny that it was fair for 250f running against 125 smokers, but now they whine about fairness when they don't have a 50% advantage. MXA says it right about smokers. Cheaper out of the box, lighter, easier to maintain and faster and you can't forget not near as loud. The AMA will never allow the smokers to run as all they care about is the status quo and trying to keep Harleys relevant in mile racing. :ride:

Craigus

There was nothing fair about that either. But the fact the premiere class bikes (250's) had to drop a class to win races sums it up pretty well. Though now we have the 150sx. Need a 300sx and all will be well again haha

I like close racing. I don't care what engine it is.

Edited by D4N63R

Cost, cost, cost!

250 Four Strokes cost to much for the Torque they produce! Horsepower is not as important as the low end torque that everyone likes coming from a HEAVY (20 LBS more than a 2 Stroke) 450.

.............The solution is a 300 or 350 2 Stroke as the best VALUE all around bike!...........

Repeating an earlier solution for YZ 250's, Eddie Sanders Racing -  ESR 325....
KTM SX 300 Cylinder is for sell on their website.....
Yamaha YZ 300 Athena Cylinder is for sell on their website.....

Another thought 450 2 Stroke vs 450 Stroke how would that work out!

The manufactures would not like that because parts sales would drop!

Bottom line is the economies of the world are not doing well, and the manufacturer's who want to sell bikes will be FORCED into providing better 2 Stokes of all sizes!

Direct Injection will provide a linear torque producing power band and this will change everything!

By the way I do ok on the money front, but unless I am a sponsored rider, justification for the repair and service of a 4 Strokes is NOT there!

• Like 1

To be unfair you mean. The AMA, or whatever sanctioning body, are not God. The 250 was built to replace a 125 because of rules drawn up by sanctioning bodies. That is a totally artificial means. A corrupt one if you ask me. 

125s don't have doors. :)

People over estimate the power of a 250 2t vs a 250 4t. Though a 2t will be more powerful, there is no question a 250f is easier to ride. They put down better traction, generally have better feeling suspension, less vibration, and a wider spread of power. I don't think any 1 bike a is better, just different. Results prove that neither bike seems to have an advantage over the other while racing at a pro level...

Anything with less power is easier to ride, in general, than something with more power. Obviously the 250 2T is faster in the hands of the truly fast or the 4T people wouldn't be whining for yet another package of advantages.

I rather like my Gorr 295s better than my ESR 325. But that's just me. Your results may vary. I've have a CR450 and a YZF250 (KTM 525 as well) and sold them all as failed experiments. Four strokes are too narrowly focused for me. You have to have them produced to preform a specific task. Once away from the venue that they are designed for, they suck. A good two stroke can go more places and happily do more  things.

• Like 1

Good comment....I rather like my Gorr 295s better than my ESR 325. What is it that you like about the EG Kit vs the ESR kit?

Have a Rekluse but not a big bore yet. Going to Pismo Beach (or order online) and picking up an ESR Kit is in the cards.

I was hoping to get more bottom end power out of the 325 and didn't. I do call that bike the geezer pleaser. It is easy to ride. But I wanted more grunt and got more top end. I didn't really need more top end in my woods bike.

I totally agree with the 2t being more usable for different types of riding. There's a reason they dominate hard enduro. My 250f is okay on trail rides as long as the speed stays up. One it gets all muddy and tight it's instant over heat and pray it doesn't stall haha

I was hoping to get more bottom end power out of the 325 and didn't. I do call that bike the geezer pleaser. It is easy to ride. But I wanted more grunt and got more top end. I didn't really need more top end in my woods bike.

That's interesting. I got the woods port and it was a huge boost in torque. What port job did you request. It sounds like the mx port.

Very interesting video, at the Pro Rider Canada level 250-2 vs 250-4 is pretty evenly matched. Although K.B. the overall winner attributes the 2 stroke power to hole shots and winning.

Round 8 - MX2 - Rockstar Energy Drink Motocross Nationals - 250 Canada Pro Series (CMRC)

That's interesting. I got the woods port and it was a huge boost in torque. What port job did you request. It sounds like the mx port.

Mine's the woods port too. It is stronger off bottom than the 250. But not the 295 MoBetta. I'm going to monkey with it some more once I get the 295 that I got this spring dialed in.

I only get to mess with the bikes when I'm in Minnesota. I come back to the US ride a few times a year. I'm in Maine right now visiting the in-laws on a Maine lake. Then a couple of lake days in MN, then back to France to ride bicycle like crazy. I rode a few days a week and a half ago in Akeley, MN. 

Edited by shagger