Sign in to follow this  

Chain Slack

Up until now, I've been setting my chain slack on the upper side of the swing arm. The manual says to measure on the bottom side. I'm wondering if I've been putting too much slack in the chain because of this. I could hear my chain smacking the swing arm the other day when downshifting abruptly.

Edited by mossman77

Sounds like 1tooth larger on the front would tighten up the chain just about right? (Plus you would get the benefit of longer chain life)

Come to think of it, maybe its the chain tightening up thats making the noise. That would make more sense since its under more load when downshifting. Sounds like its time for a new chain.

On the swingarm I mark the halfway point from respective center of front and back sprockets with a black marker.  After cleaning the chain with an o-ring-safe spray chain cleaner (e.g., Dupont) and an old toothbrush and drying it pretty well with a clean rag, spray with chain wax (again, e.g.,  Dupont) I carefully measure the slack as directed at several spots around one rotation of the chain; and adjust the slack to conform to the tightest spot of my measurements. This kind of maintenance for me leaves the least residue/buildup on the chain as I ride, and less of a mess to clean when I next clean/lube/check slack on the chain..

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BREATHE THAT NASTY CHAIN CLEANER OR CHAIN WAX STUFF!!!  Do this spraying in a well-ventilated area!!!

Edited by BSAVictor