Sign in to follow this  

Damper rod issues

So I have been chasing inner cartridge issues and I think I have it narrowed down to a nick in the cart rod. I have removed the nick but it's bad enough that it's killing my lower seal.. Where can you get a replacement rod? It's for a showa 47 twin chamber on a honda.

News to me. I thought Showa damper rods were a bit hard to get without the purchase of the whole cartridge.

I was informed recently that they are now available but if memory served me right they were over $200.

Isn't race tech now making certain rods like shock rods and fork tubes , maybe damper rods , any cnc machinist might be able to copy one

Go on k tech web site, the 47mm Showa is an older fork now they have damper rods with mv pistons at reasonable money.

• Like 1

Im coming up dry here guys, I emailed all the us companies and well see what they say.. If I was to remove these nicks and polish this down past the anodizing do you think the seal would still work?  Ano is only 1-2 thousands correct?

I can get the rod for you but as stated they are not cheap.

Seal may work but not optimum with aluminum wear inside the fork making things dirty in a hurry.

Have them stripped and re-coated in a T3 hard anodize.  That will stop the wear, and be better than the original coating.  I have done this before with good results.  Its an external surface so simple to do, you should have many options as far as metal finishing shops.  While apart I'd rebuild the seal heads with new rod bushings and seals. 

Edited by GP

I don't know that I would recoat them.. If I could find some from an X bike that are hard chromed that would be better. Also in regards to dirty oil, I change the oil so often(10-20) hrs mainly because I am messing with valving It shouldn't matter. Im going to try and fix it and see what happens.

Oh and all the seals are new.. Ill have to replace the lower seal again.

There are no hard chromed damper rods.  Most production parts are just T2 coated.  Been down this road a couple times, for less than $100 you eliminate the problem. 

There are no hard chromed damper rods.

Honda crfx forks don't use aluminum damper rods.

OK then I stand corrected, never saw an X fork apart.  Didn't think anyone used steel anymore. 

OK then I stand corrected, never saw an X fork apart.  Didn't think anyone used steel anymore.

Honda tried to price their X models below their MX models so they went cheap on stuff. The rods are much heavier than its aluminum counterpart though.

Are they really hard chromed though?  Find it hard to beleive that would be cheaper than aluminum from a mfg standpoint.  Older WP43s were steel but not chromed.

Are they really hard chromed though?  Find it hard to beleive that would be cheaper than aluminum from a mfg standpoint.  Older WP43s were steel but not chromed.

I just believe they're polished. The set I worked on didn't look chrome to me. I'm not the person to really comment on coatings though.

£115 pound for a new rod with shims and piston, not worth messing around sending to be coated

I sanded the scratches with 200 then 400 then buffed it out and the finish is smooth so Im going to run it. Ill replace the lower seal after this ride to see if it leaks again. I am pro at removing them now. It takes me around 20 mins total counting time to wait for air to rise from oil.