Sign in to follow this  

86 cr125 shock rebuild

Can someone recommend the correct shock oil for and 1986 cr125?  i know I have hear about using ATF for the front forks but nothing about the rear shock.  The last shock I rebuilt was a 98 KTM and i used 5wt shock oil which worked fine.  did the 86 use ATF for the rear shock as well?

Thanks

No bike I know used atf stock, but that's something you can use in a pinch, and can work quite well in the right setup. Never would think to use it in a shock tho, especially since it uses so little, just use the shock fluid of your choice.

That said, I have a 86 125 shock that was rebuilt about 5 years ago collecting dust if you're intetested.

Yeah, I had tried the ATF on the ktm I had and it was to thick. But I didn't know if the valve setup on older bikes flowed better and could use a thicker oil. And since I can't find the manual for this bike I searched and the results I found was the the.manual stated ATF As it does for the front forks. But I agree for the small amount of oil I will just get the actual shock oil.

Thanks for the offer of the one you have but I already have the parts on the way for the rebuild