Sign in to follow this  

diagnosing electrical problem

my son has an 05 yzf250. it started dying around idle and would not start by kicking. we compression started it several times through the day but eventually couldn't get it to comp start. I pulled plug grounded it and kicked.. no spark. I unplugged kill switch, still no spark. my next plan was to test stator. I downloaded a manual but am looking for a quick tutorial on how to test with multimeter. manual lists coil 1, coil 2 pickup coil etc. I need to know which color wires to test etc. any help would be great! thanks

I just went through some similar issues with my 2012 WR250F that I think I have gotten pawned out, but just need some hard dirt riding to confirm.  Check your main fuse, spark plug, spark plug gap, primary and secondary coil resistance, and all connections to / from the CDI.

Found your bikes service manual for free here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/owner-manuals/index.aspx

Edited by chittyrox

I recently came came across a 250f with CDI cable cut. Just wondered if that would fault the bike from kicking over /starting.

Was it the grey wire mod on a WR250F ?  If so, then it should not fault the bike in starting.

Edited by chittyrox

I put in a new plug to rule that out. I have same bike as my son so tried my cdi on his bike. Still no spark. Tonight after work i will test stator with multimeter . Will let you know what readings i get there. Thanks all!

If you swapped CDI boxes and still no spark, 99.44% that your stator has died.  And the worsening symptoms until it quit running sound like stator as well.

Coils never go bad.  At least in the old days they never went bad.

Did you swap out the coil so you can rule that out as well?

I'm betting stator.

It wouldn't hurt to unplug all the connections, grease them, and plug them back together.  Sometimes you get lucky.

Yes i swapped coils to rule that out so its looking like stator. I will verify that this weekend. If so is oem stator the way to go or is there an aftermarket suggestion?

I tested stator and as suspected, one of the coils was bad.. no reading at all. I ordered a new one from Ricky stator. received it in 2 days. installed it and bike fired right up. thanks for the tips in tracking down the problem.!!

I have an 07 yz250f ..Had a very similar death story..running then just flammed out bumped  it but really nothing.. Swapped the coil with my 450. Still no spark. Checked the kill switch..nope..Got the book out and I have a dead short acrossed one of the coils in the stator...Ricky stator here I come..

Just use an impact gun for flywheel nut if you have one. No need to hold flywheel then. If you dont have an impact gun then you will need the special tool to hold flywheel. Then you will need the puller for flywheel. I bought mine from ricky stator for $15 and it came with the new stator. Pretty easy job:-)