Sign in to follow this  

KX 85 open throttle problems

Alright, I have my nephews 01 KX 85 here. He bought used. His mom "cares of it". Has a super mechanic that she sees. Well now he moved and I'm good enough to wrench on it. Anyways. It has a big bore kit. It's over 100cc I was told. Bike runs funky. Come to find out the stock jets are in there. And he also says that when in high rpms bike dies. Which I just confirmed up my street. But I am puzzled. Please help.

I would just try raising the needle up and see if the extra fuel helps. Does it die like it just ran out of fuel with that bahwawa sound or just does it immediately shut off? It could be electrical. Pro Circuyit shows the 85 and 100 were jetted about the same but different needles.

1st, try to find out what the actual displacement is. A stock bike will usually require leaner jetting and a BB will sometimes actually use stock jetting.

2nd, Look at the plug, post a clear pic if you can so we can take a look at it.

3rd, take Nb's advice. Totally disconnect the kill switch, run it and see what happens, If it still does it, then it'll probably be in the stator wiring or loose connection somewhere in between.

we'll help you trouble shoot as much as we can but try if you try something, let us know. AND if you find the problem post it up for future people having this issue.