Sign in to follow this  

Bent subframe

I'm almost positive my subframe is &%$#@!ed up. I'm going to try to straighten it back tomorrow. Any tips?

I'm going to try and heating it up just a bit. In hopes of making it easier

IMG_20140821_151154.jpgIMG_20140821_150936.jpgIMG_20140821_151025.jpgIMG_20140821_150857.jpg

I'm almost positive my subframe is &%$#@!ed up. I'm going to try to straighten it back tomorrow. Any tips?

I'm going to try and heating it up just a bit. In hopes of making it easier

attachicon.gifIMG_20140821_151154.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140821_150936.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140821_151025.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20140821_150857.jpg

it would be better to cut it, weld it back, and stress relieve it afterwards. 

the first bend introduces stress.

your subsequent attempts at straightening it introduce more stress. 

heating it locally without using hte right temperature introduces more still. 

then you twist it and let it cool... lots of stress....

aluminum does not like being beant. it gives very little warning, if any, before it goes POP. maybe it's just a support weld and you notice the vibration, or maybe it's one of the supports while you're in a turn. 

i would replace the subframe completely and not have to worry. structural supports are kind of a big deal. 

I bent mine in a wreck. Just leaned the bike against a tree with a friend holding it and whacked it with a sledge till it was close enough to original position. Been riding like that for a year now.

Make a new one out of steel.

A lot of stunt riders do that because the sub-frame can't take the stress of standing on the tail for too long.

If your set on fixing the one you have I've read to NOT heat them up. It makes the aluminum weaker, also use 2x4 or what ever is convenient to you to straighten it back to place.

When i bent mine (bit worse than that) I just used a GBFH and a chair leg to lever it back straight. I didn't use any heat, and i wouldn't advise you too either. Its more malleable than you would think :thumbsup:  

Im a dirt bike rider, this is something that happens once in a while. I straighten them by removing most of the rear end stuff like tyou have done. I would remove the muffler too and sometimes the air box. Then a I lay the bike on the ground and use a long pry bar 6' or so. Feed it thru the subframe and have a friend stand on the bike to hold it down. Then apply up or down pressure to bend it. It has worked every time for me.

NO HEAT

Edited by Mike in Fresno
  • Like 1

Cold bend to straighten.  Just takes leverage, not a big deal.