Sign in to follow this  

2010 / 11 Big end and leaky fuel injection problem

I am looking to buy either a 2010 or 2011 Honda CRF 250 and I have heard a few scary stories.  :shocked:

The main one I have been hearing is a lot of the 2010 and 2011 models had leaky injectors when the bike was stopped, causing fuel to run down the back of the piston and wash the oil off the big end bearing, causing it to run dry and need a bottom end rebuild.  :banghead:

I am making the transition from the cheap reliable two stroke to four stroke and don't want to spend crazy amounts of money if this is true.

Has anybody had this problem and if so how did you work your way around it?

I am looking to buy either a 2010 or 2011 Honda CRF 250 and I have heard a few scary stories.  :shocked:

The main one I have been hearing is a lot of the 2010 and 2011 models had leaky injectors when the bike was stopped, causing fuel to run down the back of the piston and wash the oil off the big end bearing, causing it to run dry and need a bottom end rebuild.  :banghead:

I am making the transition from the cheap reliable two stroke to four stroke and don't want to spend crazy amounts of money if this is true.

"i'm getting a four stroke and I don't want to spend a bunch of money" good luck with that approach.

• Like 2

So did you ever find out if this was a common thing? I am looking at either going 2010 CRF250 or 2011 KX250f

I don't think the leaking injector was a 011 problem.

It's a bit of pop luck when buying secondhand four stroke unless it's an XR. You buy a dud and it may cost the price of a new one in the end. Worried of buying a dud CRF then buy a better 2stroke.

So did you ever find out if this was a common thing? I am looking at either going 2010 CRF250 or 2011 KX250f

jkluge,

Don't know about the Honda '10 or '11, I have a '12. We do have a '11 Kawi KXF250, it has been a good reliable bike, we bought it new, going into our 4 season and just putting a piston and rings in it now, valves are still good.

The Kawi has more power than the Honda (Dirt Rider called the Kawi a 450 with a dirty filter)

The Kawi frame geometry requires the rider to be in the attack position to keep in under control (very responsive). The Honda frame is forgiving, easier to ride.Just depends on your preference. Both are awesome frame set ups, but they do have different "personalities".

'11 Kawi was the first year of the SFF. For general Motocross use, it seemed fine. We ended up putting in Race Tech valves for more range of adjustment than the stock valving for offroad racing. We haven't had any issues otherwise.

Four Stroke reliability.. a lot of it depends upon how its taken care of and ridden. We have had very good luck for many years. If you want it to last, my suggestions... keep a good seal and keep the air filter clean, don't over rev... short shift when you can to stay away from the rev limiter (use the torque of the 4 stroke), i.e. 7 - 11,000 rpm, save that last 1500 rpms for when you need it. Like any bike.... the harder its ridden the more maintenance it will need.

PS - My '12 CRF250R is awesome!!... I have no plans to change or switch. Fuel Injection is the way to go.

Edited by MajHazrd