Sign in to follow this  

Some questions from a first time ktm/2-stroke owner.

Hey everyone havent been around long, just bought a 2000 300 exc it is awesome, i've ridden motorcycles for awhile and a dirtbike (cheap chinese 4 stroke that I rode all the time at my friends) but nothing compares to the power when you hit that pipe, and I only road it around the block (ordered all my gear, only thing thats showed up is my GX-1's. Funny story, I ordered them yesterday from bike-bandit lol talk about fast shipping. Rest is on the way from motorcyclesuperstore). I have a few questions I havent had much luck getting answers to with google or thread search. It seems thumpertalk deletes older threads? A few times i've seearched google to find my exact question already asked but when I click on it, I get a no data error. If you know of any resources or any old threads im more than happy to read.

1.) Searching around and it seems the manual cant be trusted for jetting (is to rich?), reading the 300 jetting database i've found a couple of people who ride at the altitude range(6000-10,000ft), I assume I will be riding, in the CO rockies. The issue is they have the 36mm carb and I have the 38, will using the same jetting as them as a starting point be a bad idea? 

2.) If so what is a good place to start, when rejetting? I've also heard one guy say you can do the needles with the carb on the bike, and a couple of guys said they could do it in 15 minutes, any tips on how to do this? Especially while riding in the mountains where you can easily gain 4000 ft in altitude. Stop for lunch and change out the jets? Ill go check the bike tomorrow and see if I cant figure it out myself but since im asking questions might as well ask now.

3.) I've heard from a few places that you can seize your engine by chopping the throttle at high rpms starving the engine as it switchs from main to pilot, so basically make sure the pilot isnt running lean? So would it be smarter to keep the pilot a little rich?

4.) How to account for temperature changes that often happen at altitude and while gaining altitude?

5.) Anyone from the denver area, best place to get pre mix and things like jetting materials and such?

Im assuming ill need to rejet it the guy I bought it from, moved here from Michigan in feb. He only put 8 hours on it the entire time he owned it, and none in CO, so it's a safe bet its still probably stock jetting heck the carb may need to be cleaned. He put on an fmf silencer, but its the stock expansion chamber, and stock everything else afaik.

It starts up first kick even after sitting a few days, basically I bought it Saturday, today was the first day I got it uncovered and kicked. Rode a bit I noticed a bit of "splooge" dripping out the end of the silencer, and it smoked a good bit when I first started it, but stopped after a minute. Revs great and has a lot a lot of power. Makes my 750 shadow feel so tame.

He said he used klotz at 40:1 and I read that if you are running rich it tends to drool a bit. 

I realize its a bit of a heated topic, but any suggestions on better premix?

6.)One thing that was wierd to me is the bike didnt want to idle in gear, it would die after a few seconds if I was in first and idling. Any ideas why?

7.) Is there a list or anything of parts that are the same between years on the exc, obviously the 2000 is getting a bit old, so I want to find what year parts are swap-able, bike bandit has a great list of oem parts but sometimes used parts are way more cost effective and of good quality. 

I know I am asking a lot of questions, sorry. I still have more questions lol, tired and forgot them atm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think she looks great!

Ktm.JPG

i'm no help on all of your questions but i'm up in fort collins and just bought the same bike 2 days ago. well mine is a 99.

Wow, quite the list. I'll take a shot. I have a 200-XCW but they are probably similar enough for these answers. Enjoy the bike!

1. I ride between 7,500 and 10,000 feet in Colorado and use the stock jetting from the chart at the back of the manual. It runs great and virtually no splooge. I would start there.

2. Start with the chart. The main and pilot jets are easily changed by loosening the clamps on both sides and sliding the bottom of the carb to the left. Remove the drain bolt and both jets can be accessed - be careful not to strip the brass fittings. To get the needle, remove the seat and gas tank, then you can get to the slide from the top. I am an idiot with tools, but I can re-jet in 10 minutes, add another 20 to 1/2 hour if messing with the needle.

3. I never heard of this

4. Jet as close as you can using the chart and just ride. I am an intermediate rider and I really can't see any big difference throughout a typical riding day.

5. I order OEM jets from Rocky Mountain ATV. They come two days after your order them. If I need premix and consumables I run out to Fey Meyers - they are glad to help with any questions. I don't know how much that FMF silencer might affect your jetting. I use the recommended 60:1 mix per the manual - I figure the engineers that built the bike might actually know what they are doing. I run Caster 927, makes my friends hungry for French fries.

6. Turn up your idle screw if you need to, but don't bother until you have re-jetted. Mine idles fine after a 1 minute warm-up.

7. I don't know about this subject, but check out the OEM parts section on Rky Mtn ATV, their web site let's you select your bike/year/model and then you can see what is available to fit your bike.

I agree completely with KurtDirt except the pre mix i run 52:1 on my 2000 ktm 250sx. Also if your looking for people to ride with PM i just moved here from texas a couple of months ago. For the used parts i would just keep an eye out on ebay. I got a dent on one of my fork tubes and found a set of forks that were liughtly used for about 200$

Turn the idle screw for idle, it may have a black plastic idle screw and they will sometimes shear off the tip so it may require a new screw as well

The 2000-2003 are the same motor, and "most" all parts on the entire bike will interchange, except front axle size on the 03 and some body work on the 03

The carb will need a new needle as almost all KTM 2st have a too rich needle off idle and then surges into the mid causing wheel spin and rich low end jetting, a CEK is a good place to start along with new main and pilot to match. It will not run as good as it can until you do this.

Adjust the power valve to suit your ride style

Nice bike!  Congratulations.

If the bike idles in N but not in 1st (with the clutch pulled) then your clutch could be out of adjustment.

I have an 0'6 xc-w that I ride from 9-13Kft.  Even with correct jetting they don't pull that well at those altitudes.  They do OK, just not great.

I had Slavens (Colorado Springs) do a head mod, cylinder decking and I re-jetted with their needle.  Then I swapped to the red PV spring.  Quite a bit better, but still lacking on the bottom a little.

If you have some cash laying around, a 36mm APT smart carb works wonders.  It really woke the bike up on the low end.  The bonus is that is auto compensates for altitude and temp variations, so you never need to re-jet it!!  Kind of like EFI for your 2t.

I jet mine off the chart. Am happy with it.

To quickly rejet you loosen the hose clamps on either end of the carb and rotate it to access either the needle or the bowl. Access it from the left side of the bike.

Check out slavens racing. They are in CO and have all the advice and parts you might need. Great youtube instructional videos too.

Wow tons of info thanks for the answers! That apt carb looks awesome and its billet! Unfortuanately I do not have 675 dollars laying around lol, I will definitely be getting to that once I do because that would be very worth it imo. If I have the Kehnin FCR-38 would that one fit on my bike? What would be the difference? I imagine you'd have to change out the boot at least.

Ill definitely start with the manual for jetting and change the needle out, at least its just one carb unlike my vtwin lol, that was a pita to get out and back in...

Has anybody ran into any issues with boiling over? Trying to decide if I need a rad fan, thought I could buy one of the spal fans and mount it with the straps for half the cost of the trail tech, who knows lol. Thanks for all the help so far!

Not gonna be able to ride for awhile lol, waiting for my bro to get one and then we have to get a trailer, but I am so incredibly stoked!

If you don't want to mess with jetting just call up and order the JD kit. Takes all the guess work out. Being a 2000 I wouldnt worry too much about a little clutch drag, pretty normal for those bikes. Go ride it and enjoy.

Hey, don't mean to highjack but I'm in a similar position, first ktm/2stroke, mine is a 2012 300XC. I have been racing it this season and was told the plug is probably fouled...but it has been running like new since I bought it 8 months ago. How can you check? I was told I have to run the engine, then wind it out in every gear, then kill the engine and check the spark plug ? Is this right?

Hey, don't mean to highjack but I'm in a similar position, first ktm/2stroke, mine is a 2012 300XC. I have been racing it this season and was told the plug is probably fouled...but it has been running like new since I bought it 8 months ago. How can you check? I was told I have to run the engine, then wind it out in every gear, then kill the engine and check the spark plug ? Is this right?

Do a search on PLUG CHOP

Joe

• Like 1

Hey everyone havent been around long, just bought a 2000 300 exc it is awesome, i've ridden motorcycles for awhile and a dirtbike (cheap chinese 4 stroke that I rode all the time at my friends) but nothing compares to the power when you hit that pipe, and I only road it around the block (ordered all my gear, only thing thats showed up is my GX-1's. Funny story, I ordered them yesterday from bike-bandit lol talk about fast shipping. Rest is on the way from motorcyclesuperstore). I have a few questions I havent had much luck getting answers to with google or thread search. It seems thumpertalk deletes older threads? A few times i've seearched google to find my exact question already asked but when I click on it, I get a no data error. If you know of any resources or any old threads im more than happy to read.

1.) Searching around and it seems the manual cant be trusted for jetting (is to rich?), reading the 300 jetting database i've found a couple of people who ride at the altitude range(6000-10,000ft), I assume I will be riding, in the CO rockies. The issue is they have the 36mm carb and I have the 38, will using the same jetting as them as a starting point be a bad idea?

2.) If so what is a good place to start, when rejetting? I've also heard one guy say you can do the needles with the carb on the bike, and a couple of guys said they could do it in 15 minutes, any tips on how to do this? Especially while riding in the mountains where you can easily gain 4000 ft in altitude. Stop for lunch and change out the jets? Ill go check the bike tomorrow and see if I cant figure it out myself but since im asking questions might as well ask now.

3.) I've heard from a few places that you can seize your engine by chopping the throttle at high rpms starving the engine as it switchs from main to pilot, so basically make sure the pilot isnt running lean? So would it be smarter to keep the pilot a little rich?

4.) How to account for temperature changes that often happen at altitude and while gaining altitude?

5.) Anyone from the denver area, best place to get pre mix and things like jetting materials and such?

Im assuming ill need to rejet it the guy I bought it from, moved here from Michigan in feb. He only put 8 hours on it the entire time he owned it, and none in CO, so it's a safe bet its still probably stock jetting heck the carb may need to be cleaned. He put on an fmf silencer, but its the stock expansion chamber, and stock everything else afaik.

It starts up first kick even after sitting a few days, basically I bought it Saturday, today was the first day I got it uncovered and kicked. Rode a bit I noticed a bit of "splooge" dripping out the end of the silencer, and it smoked a good bit when I first started it, but stopped after a minute. Revs great and has a lot a lot of power. Makes my 750 shadow feel so tame.

He said he used klotz at 40:1 and I read that if you are running rich it tends to drool a bit.

I realize its a bit of a heated topic, but any suggestions on better premix?

6.)One thing that was wierd to me is the bike didnt want to idle in gear, it would die after a few seconds if I was in first and idling. Any ideas why?

7.) Is there a list or anything of parts that are the same between years on the exc, obviously the 2000 is getting a bit old, so I want to find what year parts are swap-able, bike bandit has a great list of oem parts but sometimes used parts are way more cost effective and of good quality.

I know I am asking a lot of questions, sorry. I still have more questions lol, tired and forgot them atm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think she looks great!

Wow that bike is clean nice buy.

Im a first timer to KTM and 2st, so Im still learning. I run 50:1 on my 96 300 and get some smoke on first start up to a minute. Also have a dribble of spooge at the end of the day. I ride from 300ft up to 8000ft and noticed that stock PWK 38 jetting was too fat. Went to a #7 slide and CEK needle, but that was too lean. The bike is happiest with the stock needle and the #7 slide.

Also, coming from a trail ridden 450R, I thought I would need cooling fans. I built a battery- operated set for thst bike that worked wonders, so I built another set for the KTM. Cost was about $20 total. Still running the same set of AA batteries since March, so about 15hrs of trail riding total. Dont really need them, but they're on and will stay. If you want details, send me a PM.