Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR200r with RFVC engine

Hello everyone!  So I picked up an 85 Honda XR200R with the 4-valve RFVC engine in it.  I'm looking for some good resources on this bike.  Doesn't seem to be much information out there and I thought maybe you guys (or gals) over here on the vintage forum might be the best source of information.  I need to get a service manual first and foremost.  Found a paper version on e-bay but does anyone know where I can download an electronic version for free or relatively cheap?

It needs an engine tear down unfortunately.  It runs great, but the left side crank case is cracked pretty bad and leaking oil.  Also needs a new shifter shaft.  I'm going to take a look at all the seals and bearing and what not while I"m in there this winter.

SO if anyone has any info about this bike or knows where I can learn more about it I would great appreciate it!

Thanks!

Not many left alive probably. They had severe overheating problems with the early (83-85) RFV motors. Lots of them expired or given up on. The 2 valve and later 4 valve motors much more reliable.

Sad to say probably the worst of all XR/XL models (all of them, 200, 250, 350)

You'll find a lot more bike specific help on the Honda forum for these bikes.

Edited by MindBlower

Ya, mine has oiling issues alright....it's all leaking onto the ground...HAHA.  Ok, so looks like I bought me a challenge.  Good news is that it runs great, starts easy, etc.  So once I get the cracked case and shifter arm replaced I'll just have to keep fresh oil in it and maybe wrap the header pipes to help with heat problems.

My wife just recently sold her 86 XL250r  it had an RFVC enigine in it, the dual carb version. It was a decent bike for a a small dual sport. It could be a hard starter at times if left set for a few weeks. It seemed to be a very hot running bike. I believe some of that could have been cured with slightly richer jetting but it was getting great fuel milage and I didn't want to mess with the carbs. I think the carbs were simple enough to adjust but removing them without cracking the intake boot was more of a challenge than anything else, besides the bike did run well. The only problem I ever had with it was when the wife broke a couple of kickstart idler gears from kicking it so many times to get it started. I'm glad your bike is an easy starter because those gears and other .parts .are getting hard to find. I bought a Clymer manual when we got the bike and it was sold with the bike. Clymer manuals are OK but they can be a bit sketchy too. I don't know of any online manuals for that engine. You might want find an XR web site for more information. Good luck with your bike

I have an 85 350 and it's been great.  Keep the oil fresh and do what you can to minimize wringing their neck when already hot and it can be a great bike for another 20 years.  :)

Ya, I'm excited to get the case swapped and see what it looks like in there.  Hoping it won't turn into a money pit when I split the case.  This is going to be my bike until my wife gets comfortable on her DR125 then she'll take the 200 and I'll buy something bigger.  I do miss my DRZ400 already, I sold it a few months ago in order to pay for my GS850.

A good source for used parts is generationcycles.com I have found many parts for my 85 XR 200 through them.

I worked at a Honda shop those years,,i recall nearly every one of those that sold new (200 4-valve)burnt up the top end and cam within a year.

Edited by scalejockey