Sign in to follow this  

Getting Back in the Game

How's it going guys. Figured I would make my first post my first thread as well.

Haven't touched a dirt bike in about 6 years (been messing with fast cars), but recently got the itch to go riding again! The bike was less than an hour drive away, and exactly what I wanted. I knew I had to get it.image.jpg

When test riding the bike I was completely uncomfortable, which is unusual for me. Felt like I was riding a chopper not a mx bike. Maybe you guys will have some suggestions on how to better setup the bike.

Before doing anything else to the bike, I had to get the appearance looking right. Contrary to popular belief, a mild stripping chemical will not melt your plastic. I don't know how many of you his have used different stripping agents in the past, but typically if you get some on your skin and it is only mildly irritating you should be alright. Typically the brush on stuff (heavy duty) is what will get you in trouble. NOT fun getting that stuff on you... Anyways, about a can and a half later... Nice clean new-ish looking plastic!

image.jpg

No scrubbing or sanding required. Just spray the chemical on thick and spray it off when it gets done bubbling up.

100% better IMO

image.jpg

More to come later.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I think there were a lot of contributing factors. Just a couple days later I hopped on a yz250f (for the fiancé) and felt right at home, so I knew there was something going on. Bought it from a smaller guy, who just rode around in a field with it. Which makes the following make sense:

Race sag (with me) was almost 6"

Forks slid all the way down in the clamps

Bars tilted down a little, etc...

Setup for a smaller guy. I now have the sag in spec for my weight, got the forks slid up to a neutral position, and adjusted the bars for my liking. Haven't ridden it yet, but well see how much that changes.

Picture of the 250f to keep it interesting. Guy had so many ugly stickers, etc all over the bike. Haven't tried to save the plastic yet.

image.jpg

• Like 1

"Auto Stripper" by Rustoleum. Picked it up at my local Autozone. No, it will not take out scratches. You would need at least some wet sanding, and various compounds on a bench girder preferably, but you could use a common drill if need be. For the typical piece of plastic on a modern day bike it would be cheaper to simply order a new plastic part.

YJZ - Welcome to TT!  I have an '01 yz250 and went thru the same thing you are.  "Are they really that stiff and brutal?".  The suspension on the older steel frame YZ's are strictly for extreme MX and don't give a comfy ride if you're not going balls out.  As someone said, be a regular at the 2 stroke Yamaha sub forum.  Do some searches there to see what others have done to partially or completely solve what you're feeling.  Good luck.  I have my YZ partially solved to make it feel comfy.  Having said all that, would I buy mine again?  YOU BET I would!

A cheap heatgun will remove stickers without the need for harsh chemicals.

Both those bikes look like nice finds, good luck.

Thanks motoxvet. Mx is going to be my main focus so I'm not too worried about the suspension, I always liked mine a little stiffer anyways. Just read up on the SSS forks with the 04 clamps, I think that would be the ticket if I ever get back up to speed :lol: Lots of good info on the old 2 stroke and a lot of new tech on the new 4 strokes. I've been on automotive forums for the past few years and didn't even know what a forum was before that, so it's nice to have a place to reference besides the service manuals. I think I'm in the same boat as you, even though I was more comfortable and on the 250f (having never ridden another 4 stroke mx bike besides the TTR-125 that I started on) there's something about the 2 stroke that I just can't let go of. Messing with standalone engine management systems and other misc. systems for the past few years has given me even more appreciation for the simple, raw power that the 2 stroke has.

NCsteve: chemicals were used for the side panels and rear fender, which were spray painted black. I have used that method in the past and really don't find a substantial difference between using a heat gun or not. Most of the time there will be adhesive left over from both methods, and with a good adhesive cleaner I don't really bother getting out the heat gun anymore.

I'm guessing you are from NC, what part? What kind of riding do you do?

When we picked up the 250f it would hardly run without the choke. Pulled the carb out and found chunks of dried air filter oil in both the main and pilot jets. Set the needle clip back to stock as well as the fuel screw. Should have taken pictures but was in a hurry.

image.jpg

Putting the 250f together meant I could pull the yz out of the shed. Looks like a bike now:

image.jpg

Going to ride this evening. Hoping to get good results from all the changes.

Thanks!

I think there were a lot of contributing factors. Just a couple days later I hopped on a yz250f (for the fiancé) and felt right at home, so I knew there was something going on. Bought it from a smaller guy, who just rode around in a field with it. Which makes the following make sense:

Race sag (with me) was almost 6"

Forks slid all the way down in the clamps

Bars tilted down a little, etc...

Setup for a smaller guy. I now have the sag in spec for my weight, got the forks slid up to a neutral position, and adjusted the bars for my liking. Haven't ridden it yet, but well see how much that changes.

Picture of the 250f to keep it interesting. Guy had so many ugly stickers, etc all over the bike. Haven't tried to save the plastic yet.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

How did the bike run??  I just bought a 500 two stroke, it ran horribly because the jetting was so rich it would start cold without the choke on, and when it finally started it ran horribly.  Some major piston slap was cranking from the motor--caused by pump gas, and Golden Specto premix oil which is worth about as much as a community Arab shitter hole. 

But the motor affected how the bike handled, to a degree.  It's hard to determine how well the suspension soaks up whoops when you can't confidently skim the top of them because the motor is sputtering more splooge than smoke.

You got the suspension better tuned, but is it stock too??  Do you plan to ride offroad with your YZ?

It seems slowly but surely  riders are coming back, and this sport needs them, we are hounded by environmentalists, governments and just plain haters, every little bit helps to keep this sport going.

• Like 2

How did the bike run??  I just bought a 500 two stroke, it ran horribly because the jetting was so rich it would start cold without the choke on, and when it finally started it ran horribly.  Some major piston slap was cranking from the motor--caused by pump gas, and Golden Specto premix oil which is worth about as much as a community Arab shitter hole. 

But the motor affected how the bike handled, to a degree.  It's hard to determine how well the suspension soaks up whoops when you can't confidently skim the top of them because the motor is sputtering more splooge than smoke.

You got the suspension better tuned, but is it stock too??  Do you plan to ride offroad with your YZ?

The engine was what made the sale. I was seriously wondering about the condition of the engine after inspecting the rest of the bike, but I was blown away when I test rode it. Jetting was/is spot on. Runs clean from bottom to top.

Took the bike to the track today and I have to report that the uncomfortable feeling that I had at the test ride is gone.

Total list of changes:

-Sag back to spec

-Forks 5mm up in the clamps

-Bars tilted 1 "tick" forward

-All clickers set to middle setting

-Levers positioned to my preference

-Grips (only listing this because the ones that were on the bike would make anyone feel queezy)

-Shift lever moved up 2 teeth.

Feel right at home now. It's like I'm back on my old yz85 again :lol: Funny how all of those little changes made such a big difference for me.

Anyways, the 250 will be used primarily for MX, and will deal with the trails when the fiancé wants to. Suspension is currentlly stock.

Unfortunately the 250f wasn't so lucky today. Got to the track, filled up the tank and turned onthe fuel petcock. Fuel came out of the bowl overflow a few seconds later. Figured there was some debris betwen the needle and main jet/nozzle. Wanted to get on the track fast (mistake) so I decided to try to service the carb on the bike. Went to remove the bowl, spent forever looking for the allen bolts in the dirt. Finally got the main jet off, didn't see any debris. Cleaned it out really good and went to put it back on the nozzle and snapped the threads inside of the nozzle. Game over :lol:

Went back to the house and did it properly in 1/4 of the time I spent trying to go the "easy" way. Left the exhaust, shock, and engine mount on this time. Didn't find it any harder to do with those pices on the bike, other than wiggiling the carb out of the side instead of straight back.

Anyone have any other ideas on the overflow? Going to do some rsearch of my own here shortly. Star pictures from the day are coming soon (uploading from mobile, also why pictures are low quality).

Edited by YZJ
  • Like 1

It seems slowly but surely  riders are coming back, and this sport needs them, we are hounded by environmentalists, governments and just plain haters, every little bit helps to keep this sport going.

Hopefully there are more and more people that are in a similar situation that I am, and will be coming back soon. Can't wait to see the tracks congested with riders again. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Haven't updated this in a while, busy with school and actually doing some riding!

With that said, I believe we both (me & my fiancé) underestimated the effect that time off would have. In those 6 years I have completely forgotten all fundamentals, my form on the bike is terrible and ride the track so slow it hurts. So with that in mind we are going to be "stepping down" so to speak. With a TTR for her and a yz125 for me. At the end of the day I want to get better as a rider an I believe the 125 and TTR will be the best move for both of us. Going to clean up the bikes later today to put them up for sale, if anyone is interested just shoot me a message and we can talk.

Picture from 3 days ago.

image.jpg

• Like 1