Sign in to follow this  

Do you ever just have those days... wheelie related

When everything is just not going smooth on the bike.. Was out practicing yesterday, one footed u-turns, wheelies, riding up stairs and other obstacles (trying to sharpen up for tougher off-road stuff).  I fell multiple times and watched the poor DRZ take some damage.  As seen in the picture i completely bent the DRC taillight like a duck bill haha (no sub frame damage thankfully).. While practicing wheeling my butt slipped off the seat and the bike completely went up right.  I didn't fall on this occasion, but was standing there holding the bike completely up right and heard a huge crunch when doing so.  Soon after riding up 24 stairs my hand guard caught the railing on the last stair and i completely went overboard.. Bent the crap out of the hand guard.  Things just weren't clicking and i was making a lot of little mistakes i normally don't make.. Hope I'm not the only one that has these days haha

photo.JPG

• Like 1

I think your day started out wrong with the decision to ride a motorcycle on stairs.  Just IMO. :p

• Like 1

Im scurrred to wheelie,  im one of those people that when the front wheel is barely an inch off the ground i think the whole bike is gonna flip back  :D

+ like %95 of the motorcycle FAIL videos all start with a  wheely  :prof:

Wish i could wheely,  too old to start now :devil:

• Like 4

Im scurrred to wheelie,  im one of those people that when the front wheel is barely an inch off the ground i think the whole bike is gonna flip back  :D

dont feel bad ron, I'm with you.  only had a couple accidental wheelies, and i puckered good.   :smirk:

not to mention i just cant afford to dump money into my bike if i dump it, or dump money into ME if i crash.   :naughty:

• Like 2

ya im 31 and think about that to.. "Am i told old to learn this".. My main goal is just to be able to pop the front end up over logs and stuff when riding off road. Not rip down the street holding a wheelie

• Like 3

I had one of those days a few days ago, didn't really want to go for a ride because i was tired at the end of the day, but my roomate wanted to so i went. We ended up messing around on some old rail road tracks...I went to pull a one footed u-turn but went into it too fast on an irregular rocky dirt road and before i knew it the bike was out from under me I was laying on my back, and i had hit the back of my head hard! 5 minutes later I go into a flat grassy slight bend of a corner too fast and the front tire washes out and i go face first into the dirt. My head still hurts and my neck is very sore :banghead:  

Well it turns out i think i bent my rear subframe.. I removed the destroyed drc tailight today and when i went to set the fender back down, there is a bout a 1 inch gap from where the fender bolts into the middle of the rear subframe..  The rear of the fender sits flush against the back of the frame making me think its bent up in the rear quite a bit... Any tips or suggestions on what my next move should be would be really helpful :/  have no idea if this is something thats hard to fix or what

the topic of bent subframes has come up a lot recently.  its aluminum, so it's best to replace it rather than bend it back.  if your budget allows for a 300 dollar replacement part, it would be best to go that route. people on here have tweaked the subframes back using multiple different methods, if need be you can go that route too.

Uh yeah, looped it a few weeks ago.  Same thing, my butt slipped back on the seat about 6 inches in a split second, enough to lose the rear brake and crack the throttle enough to loop it.  Just put a DRC w/the 12 o'clock labs module on my bike to replace the OEM junk I destroyed.  Had to rig it up since I broke off both the normal mounting tabs at the rear of the subframe.  I think its bent to the left about a 1/2 inch overall but it is hard to notice and I don't feel it when riding.

As far as age, I turned 47 this year and am looking at fitting a rear handbrake soon, to better handle the past the balance point panic.  Only really starting riding wheelies about 6 months ago, once you get comfortable, pull off a few long ones, and get your first thumbs up from little kids riding in the back of a mini van while their mom is giving you the evil eye you're hooked.

Edited by subeng
  • Like 3

You guys are in your 30s thinking your to old to learn stuff?!? Awww come on your kids still I'm 44 and still learning new shit and been riding for years! Buck up Lil campers take the knocks and keep progressing!

• Like 2

i`m almost 55 and I power wheelie everywhere  :goofy:

Hell yeah, the power wheelies are addictive as hell on these bikes.

Do you ever just have those days... wheelie related ?

We all have bad days at some stage , and learning from our mistakes is a part of the deal.....

I must say that the major cause of having bad days is often related to confusion between capabilities and ambitions.....sometimes making bad decisions ..

over the years you learn to draw the line between them and not let the adrenalin rush take over....well most the time anyway..... :thumbsup:

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 3

Do you ever just have those days... wheelie related ?

We all have bad days at some stage , and learning from our mistakes is a part of the deal.....

I must say that the major cause of having bad days is often related to confusion between capabilities and ambitions.....sometimes making bad decisions ..

over the years you learn to draw the line between them and not let the adrenalin rush take over....well most the time anyway..... :thumbsup:

Love the caveat  "well most of the time"....I subscribe to that, hahahaha,   most of the time  :smirk:

• Like 1

Love the caveat  "well most of the time"....I subscribe to that, hahahaha,   most of the time  :smirk:

Yeah, sometime it's hard to keep the child out'a the man........ :)

• Like 1