Sign in to follow this  

EC300E exhaust o-rings

My 2013 EC300E keeps eating exhaust o-rings.  The slip-fit union at the expansion chamber and cyl head.  When I got the bike the pipe would "ring" loudly at certain RPM.  After reading some forums found out the o-rings were bad.  I order a pack from McMaster and replaced them.  5 engine hours later the ring is back and the o-rings torn again.  I greased the o-rings before sliding the pipe on.  It went on easily.  I think the weight of the pipe is hanging on the o-rings and rubbing thru them.

Has anyone else had this happen?  What's a good permanent fix?

Smear the whole inner pipe where it goes over the spigot  with red high temp silicone.  Put it on and let it dry overnight. Your good to go.

Edited by widebear

Did you buy Viton or the common BunaN orings? BunaN will take a set from heat in a couple rides. You want Viton, and do as widebear suggested. Also, if your pipe is tweaked putting a side load on the header/spigot your fighting a loosing battle. If so tweak the pipe or shim the mounts so it lines up,as straight as possible. Finally, take a good look at your pipe springs and spigot bolts. On GGs these can contact the pipe header and vibrate before the actual spigot.

• Like 1

Glen. You wouldn't happen to have the dimensions for those would you?

Why sure...

44mm ID x 3mm cross section

If you have an old pipe with some wear in the header area from vibrating on the steel spigot, you may be able to fit a slightly larger cross section for a tighter seal.  I have not been able to do this with my hardware but it has been done.

Why sure...

44mm ID x 3mm cross section

If you have an old pipe with some wear in the header area from vibrating on the steel spigot, you may be able to fit a slightly larger cross section for a tighter seal.  I have not been able to do this with my hardware but it has been done.

Same size as the late model ktm orings. I was going to purchase o-rings from fmf, but eight or nine dollars for two orings?! I went to granger, looked up and found some that were viton and bought a bag of 10 for 20 bucks.