Sprockets out of round FZX700 Fazer

I've been trying to isolate the cause of variable chain tension on my 1986 FZX700, and it turns out that my sprockets are out of round.

They are stock sprockets with original 530 o'ring chain, but my bike has only 15k miles total. I thought this was impossible until i inspected the sprockets closely, and spoke to my mechanic friend who confirmed that it can happen onstreet bikes. The only thing that could have cause this is that I sometime lube my chain unevenly (without spinning the wheel). Have you seen this before or have other ideas of the cause?

Edited by Swappa

I've been trying to isolate the cause of variable chain tension on my 1986 FZX700, and it turns out that my sprockets are out of round.

They are stock sprockets with original 530 o'ring chain, but my bike has only 15k miles total. I thought this was impossible until i inspected the sprockets closely, and spoke to my mechanic friend who confirmed that it can happen onstreet bikes. The only thing that could have cause this is that I sometime lube my chain unevenly (without spinning the wheel). Have you seen this before or have other ideas of the cause?

I've heard of it before, but for me, variable chain tension is variable chain wear, which would certainly be possible, and not unusual on a 15k, 28 year old chain. Either way, I'd replace both sprockets and chain.

Mike

• 1 month later...

New set is silky smooth. Prior to replacing, I looked at the chain and sprockets very closely before spending the $ to identify if one piece of the puzzle was more of a problem than the other. In the end, when I broke the old drive chain, the pins were very dry behind the oring seals. I think the chain may have been causing a good deal of the problem simply because it is vintage 1986. Prior to replacing, I lubed the heck out of it, but I guess it just dried out inside over time and no matter how much lube went on the outside, it still wasn't lubricating the inside of the rollers.

Swap

• Like 1

New set is silky smooth. Prior to replacing, I looked at the chain and sprockets very closely before spending the $ to identify if one piece of the puzzle was more of a problem than the other. In the end, when I broke the old drive chain, the pins were very dry behind the oring seals. I think the chain may have been causing a good deal of the problem simply because it is vintage 1986. Prior to replacing, I lubed the heck out of it, but I guess it just dried out inside over time and no matter how much lube went on the outside, it still wasn't lubricating the inside of the rollers.

Swap

My experience, chains wear first, then the chain wears the sprockets. 15-25k there is noticeable difference in chain wear between chain sections no matter how well you lube. The O'rings keep the factory lube in and new lube out, but lubing keeps the rings pliable and lubes the rollers and sprocket contact. (I think).

Glad it worked out for you!

Mike

• Like 1