Sign in to follow this  

When am I going to blow it up?

My SM has about 15k miles. I ride it like I stole it every day. I bounce off the limiter for a second at least 10 times per day. It's my only vehicle.

Should I buy a backup DD?

It's going to be maintenance dependent to some degree.  Do you change oil/filter often, check the valve clearances regularly, keep the air filter clean, done the Locktite fixes, and all the other maintenance on a timely basis?  Looking for particles in the oil, drain plug, and filter during oil changes can also show signs of impending failure.  Engines run hard need to be maintained more often and to a higher degree than ones not getting abused as bad.  A leak down test can also provide good information about the health of the engine. 

• Like 1

Do you have any other means of transportation? City Transit? Bus? Friends?

How handy are you with a wrench?

Do you check the oil level religiously?

Once it starts burning oil furiously, it's time for a rebuild.

It's going to be maintenance dependent to some degree.  Do you change oil/filter often, check the valve clearances regularly, keep the air filter clean, done the Locktite fixes, and all the other maintenance on a timely basis?  Looking for particles in the oil, drain plug, and filter during oil changes can also show signs of impending failure.  Engines run hard need to be maintained more often and to a higher degree than ones not getting abused as bad.  A leak down test can also provide good information about the health of the engine. 

I've only owned it for 3k, but the previous owned seemed slightly meticulous. I've changed the oil twice.

Do you have any other means of transportation? City Transit? Bus? Friends?

How handy are you with a wrench?

Do you check the oil level religiously?

Once it starts burning oil furiously, it's time for a rebuild.

Friends, sure.

4/5 star wrencher.

Not religiously, but every few weeks.

I've only owned it for 3k, but the previous owned seemed slightly meticulous. I've changed the oil twice.

Running the motor hard you might want to consider 1000 mile intervals or less

• Like 2

Bah! I change my oil when shifting becomes notchy (aka missing second) and unable to just tap down the gear shifter.

I commute with my bike 75km/day 5 days a week. 65 km/day on the highway.

13k km since june 1, 2013.

Doesn't burn any oil.

Ride it till it breaks. Beg for rides till you can get it fixed.

• Like 1

Running the motor hard you might want to consider 1000 mile intervals or less

+1.

that extra 50 bucks you spend on an oil change every 1000 miles is going to be cheaper and a lot less hassle than a broken down bike and a tow truck.

• Like 1

My SM has about 15k miles. I ride it like I stole it every day. I bounce off the limiter for a second at least 10 times per day. It's my only vehicle.

You sound like a guy that really appreciates his gear...NOT...

Ride it like that all the time and a failure will happen sooner than later....

from a performance angle your not gaining any by going to the limiter, the usable power has signed off by around  8k....all your doing is stressing your valve train...

And you say it's your only means of transport..... :bonk:

• Like 1

from a performance angle your not gaining any by going to the limiter, the usable power has signed off by around  8k....all your doing is stressing your valve train...

+11

• Like 1

I apologize for enjoying my motorcycle.

Get off your high horse, some of us like to have fun.

Ride it however you like buddy. It will make no difference to any of us here - least of all me. Enjoy it however you see fit. I truly mean that  :thumbsup:

But you come on and ask the question, and then take offence at  the experienced replies ?

You didn't answer my question, your post basically says "your dumb".

I apologize for enjoying my motorcycle.

Get off your high horse, some of us like to have fun.

Mate, Nothing personal....Not meaning to take the piss out'a ya....just trying to look out for you....

Take a chill pill and upshift a little earlier if you want some longer engine life out of your only means of transport....

BTW...The answer to your question sits on your shoulders

• Like 2

Buy a tacho, change whenever its bumping over 9 to 9,500 and do any or all of the preventative maintenance suggestions above about regular oil and oil/air filter change/inspection, valve clearances, leak down etc. If you practice changing on a clear safe straight empty piece of road with the tacho you soon get the feel of the engine sound for revs still shy of the rev limiter.

From reading some posts here I get the idea that the stock cylinder engines might be more rev happy than the big bores, that is until the big bore has head work and special cams to match the breathing to the cylinder size.

My SM has stock bore, ~10km, stage 2 new version hot cams, 3x3, uncorked pipe, well jetted BSR (CVK40 ready to fit) it hits 9,500 revs quick enough through 1st,2nd and 3rd that I have to consciously button off at 9,000, not quick like a hyper sports bike but revs freely. Even if the HP peak is over by 8,500 mine feels like the power does not just drop through the floor and there is a good 1,000 or more over rev there that it likes to use.

You can try gearing up to pull less revs, I did that, went from 41 rear to 39 then to 16 front and decided that was almost over geared for fun riding so went to 15/38 and it did make it want to rev more again.

Edited by mike500

raimondi1337 these guys are just trying to help you, Craigo is one of the most knowledgeable and respected guys in this forum.

I track my motorcycles so I know where you are coming from with the when will it blow up.

Unfortunately no one can tell you when but the things that shorten life are high rpms and lack of maintenance.

Short shifting is still the fastest way on the non engine moded DRZ as the bike falls on its face at high rpms.

You can do a compression and leak down test, that will give you some data on where the engine is at, also an oil UOA will tell you about wear metals in the OIL.

Edited by rraiderr

The main wear item in a High mileage bike (and you don't have one yet) is the valves, and cam lobes, if your modified other than a 3x3 and rejet, expect reduced expectations. But stock motor that produces no oil usage can see 40 to 50,000 mile easy without motor work, other than valve reshimming, and its mainly the exhausts with street use and high rpm.

Your first failure will be stator failure more than likely, a 20w50 mc oil will easily go 2,000 mile between changes, if running cheap car oil a 1000 mile would be better.