Sign in to follow this  

clutch cable! need help now..

Okay so the clutch cable on my 08 yz250f broke out on the trail yesterday no where seems to have a clutch cable for it is there any chance a 05 yz250f clutch cable will fit? hoping to have it figured out before the weekend!

Looking at the 2 bikes, their respective OEM part numbers are different. From pics I can see that the ends (closer to the tranny) seem to be the difference. If you have one on your shelf give it a shot. You may be able to swap over those end parts from your old clutch cable to see if that would work to get you off to riding.

Edited by chittyrox

Do you have a bicycle shop in your town, a Lowes, Home Depot or other hardware store, and do you have a MIG welder?

Go to bike shop and take old cable with you.  Most well stocked shops carry cable stock in various sizes.  Match the end as best you can and make sure the cable will slide inside the outer sheath. 

Then go to HW store and get either some round rod stock or a bolt the size of the hole in the clutch lever.

The idea is to build up a cable using your old outside cable sheath and new inner.  The trick is to use just enough heat to stick the end and not burn thru the cable.  You can practice on the old one.  Just a quick shot is all that is needed and you can Drimmel off any excess and cut to length.

I've even done this on small throttle cables.  Last one I did 4 years ago is still going strong.  http://jagwire.com/products/v/mountain_brake_inner_wires_basics

Edited by ronbuell