Sign in to follow this  

2002 xr200r project questions

Hey guys,

A while back i bought a 2002 xr200r that was said to have jumped timing. The guy i bought it from said he put new piston rings and a camshaft but I never confirmed if it was true. The whole bike was is pretty bad shape cosmetically and it looks as if the guy has never washed it. Before I never had time to look at it except for kicking it over to see if it has any compression, which it does.

I finally found some time to look at it and found out when kicking it over that the timing has actually jumped close to 180 degrees as the exhaust is now the intake and vise versa. I have heard of the cam chain jumping a few teeth before but never that much. Has this ever happened before? Or could it be that the guy put the cam chain back on improperly when he installed the camshaft.

I'm in the process of removing the engine the now so i can look at everything and see if its in spec.

So I'm curious if there are any other surprises that I can expect if the timing did actually jump that much, the oil is black as it can get and the spring that holds the little filter where you drain the oil from is not there.

Thanks in advance :)

No need to remove the engine to check the cam timing, but having a Honda or Clymer service manual would help. 

There are tow top dead center events in a 4 stroke engine; TDC on compression and TDC during valve overlap (this is when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake is opening so both valves are slightly open).

The flywheel has timing marks visable thru the upper hole on the left cover.  The mark with a T is for timing the cam, the F mark is for the ignition initial timing, and the double marks are maximum ignition advance.  There are some threads that discuss cam timing.

Thanks for the info, the first thing I did when I bought the bike was ordered a Clymers manual for it.

And the reason I am removing the engine is because I am going to do a teardown and see what kind of shape it is in.