Sign in to follow this  

Converting a DRZ400S into a Street Bike

Hello all, long time reader and lurker; thanx for all the great info.  

I've got a 2001 DRZ that I have posted on Craigslist for sale.  Unfortunately, I over torque'd the oil drain screw which seems to be a big turn off for a lot of people.  I jury rigged it with an expanding screw and something else and it hasn't leaked on me yet.  As most of you probably already know, re-tapping that hole is a bad idea and I'm not going to try or have someone else try.  Regardless, I don't think I'm going to be able to sell it and since I have two of them my next obvious question is:  What do I do with it?  So, I was wondering how impossible it would be to convert one of my DRZ400's into an actual flat out street bike.

I'm a long way from being a real mechanic of any kind.  In fact, I became more of a mechanic than I ever thought I would because of my dizzers'.  Anyway, In my pea brain I think if I swap out the dirt forks for some street ones and find the right sproket/tire combo I'm basically good to go.  I know it's not nearly that simple but I was hoping those of you with superior knowledge on the subject would give it a thought and tell me what you think.

If it is doable, I was thinking of looking through some bone yards for whatever I would need.  Any ideas what kind of forks might work and from what make/model/year of motorcycle?  Input is much appreciated.  Thanx.

Paul , there are a million options out there on what and how to do it . The quickest and cheapest is to get road orientated tyres 21/18`s , change the sprockets and just ride . The next is to get a set of wheels , these can be any combination of sizes from 17/18/19 up the front and 17/18 in the rear . Most people go with 17`s front and back . You may want to upgrade to a bigger front disc and revalve the suspension . You do not have to change the front fork , but if you want to , then the SM uses the RM 250 forks , this can be expensive as you need fork yokes and all the hardware involved . Really its up to you how much you want to spend , but it is doable and many people have , so you will have there experience on here to learn from , greg

• Like 1

For wheels and tires search for hooligan mod! for forks people are using all kinds of fork/triple combos as long as the steering stem is the same size I do believe. But again just search for some fork threads! I would slap a big bore, CVK40, Cams, and full exhaust and run 15-41 sprockets and you should have a more than capable street bike

Don't get rid of the forks, just cut off the bellows thingys and it improves the look substantially.  The forks are fine, just put in stiffer springs to start with and revalve when you can afford to pay someone to do it or it you're handy you can revalve them yourself.

DSC_8215.jpg

Edited by subeng

Hello all, long time reader and lurker; thanx for all the great info.  

I've got a 2001 DRZ that I have posted on Craigslist for sale.  Unfortunately, I over torque'd the oil drain screw which seems to be a big turn off for a lot of people.  I jury rigged it with an expanding screw and something else and it hasn't leaked on me yet.  As most of you probably already know, re-tapping that hole is a bad idea and I'm not going to try or have someone else try.  Regardless, I don't think I'm going to be able to sell it and since I have two of them my next obvious question is:  What do I do with it?  So, I was wondering how impossible it would be to convert one of my DRZ400's into an actual flat out street bike.

I'm a long way from being a real mechanic of any kind.  In fact, I became more of a mechanic than I ever thought I would because of my dizzers'.  Anyway, In my pea brain I think if I swap out the dirt forks for some street ones and find the right sproket/tire combo I'm basically good to go.  I know it's not nearly that simple but I was hoping those of you with superior knowledge on the subject would give it a thought and tell me what you think.

If it is doable, I was thinking of looking through some bone yards for whatever I would need.  Any ideas what kind of forks might work and from what make/model/year of motorcycle?  Input is much appreciated.  Thanx.

fix the oil pan ! you really don't want the plug to fall out and coat the rear tire while you're moving ;-) 

search for 'hooligan mod' and expect to spend $100 for wheels, $80 for the caliper relocator, and another $100 for machine work if you can't DIY. i've been running this for the last 2 years with zero issues. the street gearing of 15/39 is nice for cruising the streets. 

This post confuses me. The S model is already a street legal bike. If you want to ride it on street only just change the tires to street ones. If you want better suspension add progressive springs up front. Have the suspension re valved for your weight. Put a 41 or 39 sprocket on the rear. Then just go out and ride it on the road. No problem! :)

No matter what you do to it. It will still be a dirt bike thats street legal. Cant turn it into a GSXR or a cruiser bike. Love your bike(s) for what they are.

This post confuses me. The S model is already a street legal bike. If you want to ride it on street only just change the tires to street ones. If you want better suspension add progressive springs up front. Have the suspension re valved for your weight. Put a 41 or 39 sprocket on the rear. Then just go out and ride it on the road. No problem! :)

No matter what you do to it. It will still be a dirt bike thats street legal. Cant turn it into a GSXR or a cruiser bike. Love your bike(s) for what they are.

I mean if you swap a gsxr 6 into then it possibly could be a gsxr? Lol and I'm sure it can be done! I've seen an scooter strapped to an R1 engine.
  • Like 1

Sorry for the confusion.  What I mean is, strip it down to the engine and the frame and build it back up like a cruiser.  Albeit a really light weight cruiser.  With a very plush seat.

Should maybe just get the right bike for the right job. Like others have said there are easy things you can do to make it more of a cruiser/commuter bike but what are asking about seems kinda like a waste of time and money.

• Like 1