Sign in to follow this  

Sanded exhaust help!

I just sanded and finished my exhaust and put it back on, the bikes leaking somewhere from the header where i took it off could it be that its not tight enough? i didnt want to over torque it but it seemed like the bolt could go further on the thread! thanks

Put anti seize on the threads to keep from breaking the studs off in the future.. I had to remove my 660 engine to replace studs broke off in the head. once I reinstalled the exhaust it had a small leak so I just tightened them a little more, I don't have a torque wrenech capable of reading that low, so be careful not to break the studs if you try it, without 1

what bike? some have spacers and basically all have copper crush gaskets that should be replaced

is this the crush gasket?, just pulled it off from where the header meets the mid pipe.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408764916.882271.jpg

Oh its leaking at the mid pipe? I thought you meant the head. That is a sealing material that needs to get clamped between the mid-pipe and the header pipe to seal properly, looks like its in bad shape from the pictures, may need to be replaced.

The crush gasket will be a copper ring that is between the head pipe and the head, they usually stick to the head.

Yeah, if it's from the mid pipe, it's the sealant. If it's from where the header meets the exhaust port, it's either a bad crush gasket or it's not torqued enough. You usually have to use a pick or a small flat head to get the gasket out. I use copper hi-temp silicone on the gasket and to seal the pipe. Small amounts guarantee it won't leak, and it'll stay.

Thanks so much guys, went over to royal and they didnt have one and couldnt order it, i will probbaly end up reusing it with some high temp silicone!

There are two gaskets, the one in your picture (called the slip joint) and one in the cylinder head of the bike (probably carbon covered). To check for a leak, engine running, place a wet towel over the end of the muffler, listen for hissing. That'll be the leak.

There are two gaskets, the one in your picture (called the slip joint) and one in the cylinder head of the bike (probably carbon covered). To check for a leak, engine running, place a wet towel over the end of the muffler, listen for hissing. That'll be the leak.

Thanks but it was the midpipe connecting gasket, special ordered a new one from kawasaki and bike is running again!