Rustolium Never Wet

Has anyone tried using Never wet on the under side of your fenders to keep mud from sticking in thick mud conditions? If curious how well it worked and how long it lasted before having to put on another coat. Also curious how it holds up to heat if used on tight areas around the motor?

Eric

Hey high marker, Did either you rough up the surface before applying it? Anytime you paint plastic, especially dirt bike plastics which are extremely smooth, you have to rough the surface a little so the paint will adhere to it. I have always used a brillow pad. I would still assume that you would have to re apply depending on how much you ride since rocks are going to chi away the coating anyway.

Eric

• Like 1

I tried it. It's not terribly durable, it is cloudy when applied so it will make your plastics dull and milky. It does repel water and mud pretty well, but you can get similar results with Maxima SC1 and no discoloration. One more thing, to remove the never wet when it stops working you have to clean it off with acetone which will screw up graphics and plastics.

• Like 1

It's not really necessary to roughen the plastic surface in order for paint to adhere. 

First, wipe the surface with 70% Isopropyl alcohol to remove any oil residue that may have splashed on it.  Now you need a soft flame from a gas burner.  LP or natural gas, either will work.

You play the soft flame over the surface of the plastic to be painted for a few seconds.  It doen't visibly change the surface of the plastic, but allows the paint to adhere. 

Propane torches used to come with a 'flame spreader' that was used to remove old paint and caulking.  These work very well, if you can find them.  They came with some Bernzomatic torches.  The fender or part won't even get above body temperature if done correctly.  Use the same speed as if you were spray painting the part.  Make sure you don't miss any areas or the paint won't stick.  It is OK to flame the part more than once to be sure.

I worked in the plastic decorating industry for 15 years.  ALL bottles must be flamed (the process that I described above) before printing or decortaing.  If this is not done, the paint will fall off the bottle.

As an aside.  When the bottles are made or decorated (printed), any woman that has her period must wear thin cotton gloves if they handle the bottle.  Their body chemistry is changed and they give off a chemical that prevents the decorating from adhering to the bottle.  You can't wash it off with alcohol, although some detergents will remove it, but not reliably.  I can't count how many plastic bottles that were thrown away each year because the woman was too embarrassed to wear gloves when she had her period. 

• Like 1

Obviously, the following approach doesn't prevent the build up of mud during a ride, but Pledge furniture polish works well in my experience.

After each ride, I break out the garden hose and spray my bike down with straight water, blasting off the heaviest accumulations of mud and crud.  I then cover the entire bike with Shout laundry pre-cleaner.  I grab a beer and let it soak for 30 minutes.  I then hit the bike again with the hose.  Done.  No pre-ride prep (with the exception of the quick once over spraying of the Pledge), no scrubbing, just spray, spray and spray.  The Shout is gentle, no damage to the plastics, frame, forks, etc. I swear, it looks like I spent hours soaping and scrubbing.  Piece of cake.  Try it, you too will be a believer.

Edited by sonobob
  • Like 3

Hey high marker, Did either you rough up the surface before applying it? Anytime you paint plastic, especially dirt bike plastics which are extremely smooth, you have to rough the surface a little so the paint will adhere to it. I have always used a brillow pad. I would still assume that you would have to re apply depending on how much you ride since rocks are going to chi away the coating anyway.

Eric

Eric, sorry for the late reply, but that was just a vid I found searching the product name, it had a fender so I clicked on it.

Maybe 10 years ago I heard of a nano plastics process that made the same claims of nothing sticking to it. The patent holder thought the food industry would want to use. Ketchup bottles etc where you could get the last drop out. What was funny was that they had no interest, better you throw away some "stuck"product and buy more.