Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha TT-R 230

I have a 2006 Yamaha TT-R 230 and im looking for some upgrade suggestions. I want more speed and faster power delivery. Any help? 

i have a crf230f and the best value for your money i notice in the mods i did to mine is removing the airbox baffle, removing the exhaust baffle, buying a free-flow air filter, and rejetting the carb. should cost no more than 30$ and will give you a very noticeable increase in power. if youre really hardcore about this with lots of money and know how i would reccomend going with a web cam performance cam for about 150$ and snag a 30mm carb on ebay or something for 50 ish dollars. of course you can always go with a high- comp piston but if your bike doesnt need a rebuild then the benefits you would get from it arent worth it. dont get me wrong it would add a bit of power but for the cost and the amount of work it is i just dont think it would be worth it. happy modding  :thumbsup:  :banana: if youre new to this all i have to say is sometimes it works out great but sometimes you end up with an aftermarket nightmare and im sure a lot of other people on this forum would know what im talking about when i say that lol  :smirk:

I have a 2006 Yamaha TT-R 230 and im looking for some upgrade suggestions. I want more speed and faster power delivery. Any help? 

sell it buy a WR 250.

• Like 1

i have a crf230f and the best value for your money i notice in the mods i did to mine is removing the airbox baffle, removing the exhaust baffle, buying a free-flow air filter, and rejetting the carb. should cost no more than 30$ and will give you a very noticeable increase in power. if youre really hardcore about this with lots of money and know how i would reccomend going with a web cam performance cam for about 150$ and snag a 30mm carb on ebay or something for 50 ish dollars. of course you can always go with a high- comp piston but if your bike doesnt need a rebuild then the benefits you would get from it arent worth it. dont get me wrong it would add a bit of power but for the cost and the amount of work it is i just dont think it would be worth it. happy modding  :thumbsup:  :banana: if youre new to this all i have to say is sometimes it works out great but sometimes you end up with an aftermarket nightmare and im sure a lot of other people on this forum would know what im talking about when i say that lol  :smirk:

Yep and after all that you are up to what like 26-28 hp? Still have a shit suspension and shit for braking.

• Like 2

Yep and after all that you are up to what like 26-28 hp? Still have a shit suspension and shit for braking.

yeah the hp will be not bad. he could go out and buy a wr250 or a 250x but they are so bloody expensive its like 8g's to buy a new one. with the mods ive listed he could make a bike with some really decent power for an extra 400$, plus he'd still have the additional reliability of having a trail bike. if better suspension was called for you could always get cartridge emulators in the front for 160$ and a fox podium shock in the rear. and as far as brakes are concerned, i actually like the factory brakes on my 2014 crf230f. never changed them one bit. only complaint would be that the drum brake in the rear doesnt work so good when its wet, otherwise i cant really see how else a guy could knock 'em. 

I bet he can find a wr or a crfx for about 2500 in descent shape. Face it the air cooled are really cool but they are limited. A 250 is a better starting platform to add goodies to.

Edited by poconovfr

I second the wr idea. Haha. 230s are huge heavy pigs of a bike. About 35hp on a bike that actually weighs less.

I third the wr idea. I don't see how some people worship the 230. Must be denial.... Honestly dude the wr will feel much more like a performance bike, better suspension, snappier motor, and way more potential to be a beast of a bike. Plus I can't stand how 230's have no kick start for back up... In all reality its what's comfortable for you, but the 230 is a beginner bike, gf/wife bike, or a kid bike ....

• Like 2

look i know that a wr is a better bike. period. there is no denying that. but if the kid doesn't have an extra 2k to spend then going with a nicely modded up trail bike isnt a bad idea. plus you have the additional reliability of an air cooled trail bike. that and maybe a race bike doesn't necessarily suit his riding style. it all depends. bottom line is, if he has the money, then a wr or a crf is a good idea, but if you don't wanna spend that much and trail riding is most of what you do, then souping up your existing bike may not be a bad idea. plus you'll really surprise your friends on cr125's when you completely wax them with a trail bike :banana:

I got the bike for 950 and I put about 300 in it so far on tires, new plastics for the right side, grips, 15 tooth sprocket, and some jets for the carb.

I got the bike for 950 and I put about 300 in it so far on tires, new plastics for the right side, grips, 15 tooth sprocket, and some jets for the carb.

Stop there. Save your cash.

• Like 1

A TTR230 is a 260 pound 16HP bike.  They are great trail bikes with a few mods and virtually indestructible.  Do the cheap mods such as jetting, airbox and remove the baffle.  Put some heavier oil in the fork and or respring it if you want a better ride.  Beyond that you would have to spend huge money to get more performance out of it.  The kind of money that would by you a much more performance oriented bike if that is what you want.

I am not knocking the TTR.  It is a great bike for its intended use.  I have one.

There is a huge price diffrence in a WR and a TT-R

Huge difference in performance too.
  • Like 1

Huge difference in performance too.

The price difference is well worth the better performance you can get from a wr.