Sign in to follow this  

Valve Check? Top End? Don't want to waste money. HELP!

Hey everybody,

I purchased my first thumper a month ago, and only have knowledge for two stroke maintenance in my past history.  And, I never did anything inside the motor of my bikes in the past.

My bike is a 2011 KTM 450SXF, and I love it.  I've only had a chance to test ride it, and ride it up and down the street once.  

I've been trying to get the bike ready for the season, and going through everything I know how to since it's used.  The bike is super, super clean.  It looks like new and the previous owner said it has 8 rides on it total.  Here's my dilemma.  I've been spending a lot of money... buying the bike, sales tax & title, all the riding gear, oils and tools etc. and am running low on cash.  So far, I've done everything myself.  But, I don't really know how many hours are on the engine.  The guy I bought from was a stranger.

The oil is perfectly clear and at the right level etc.  My obsessive compulsive nature says get the valves checked and maybe a new ring or top end.  But, I'd have to pay somebody to do it and it would cost hundreds of bucks.  Am I okay riding it for a while before paying to get this done?  What would you do in my situation? 

I wouldn't trust what anyone tells you about a bike they are trying to sell. I bought a, what looked like a low hour, used bike from a reputable dealer and removed the skid plate to find the case has been cracked and repaired with JB weld. Dealer wouldn't fix it but offered to sell the cases at dealer cost probably around $900 and cut the labor costs. I haven't had it fixed yet but will have to if at some point I want to sell it. Had to spend another $250 replacing the valve cover gasket and countershaft seal. Had the valves inspected as well but luckily no issues there. Wouldn't hurt to have a peak in the engine before romping on it.

I wouldn't trust what anyone tells you about a bike they are trying to sell. I bought a, what looked like a low hour, used bike from a reputable dealer and removed the skid plate to find the case has been cracked and repaired with JB weld. Dealer wouldn't fix it but offered to sell the cases at dealer cost probably around $900 and cut the labor costs. I haven't had it fixed yet but will have to if at some point I want to sell it. Had to spend another $250 replacing the valve cover gasket and countershaft seal. Had the valves inspected as well but luckily no issues there. Wouldn't hurt to have a peak in the engine before romping on it.

^^^this :thumbsup:

I would not be afraid to ride the bike for a month or two while I tried to get someone to teach me how to check valves and put a new piston in a 4sk. At a minimum, if your going to ride 4sk you have to be able to do some minimum level of work to the bike. There to expensive to operate if you don't. If you can't

Find someone to show you, study the forums. I've seen at least two very detailed how to on checking valves. If all else fails, and you pay some one, stipulate that they show you how to do it.

Good luck

You don't need much to check the valves yourself. It's something you should be able to do if you want to own a bike. Like changing the oil. I would encourage you to buy the shop manual for the bike. It is well worth the money. Whether you buy the manual or not, you can do a search here, at ktm talk, or even YouTube and find lots of how to's that will help guide you through the process.

Piston rings are in expensive but in my opinion of you are going that far to inspect piston and rings you may as well replace them for your own peace of mind. If the bike is performing well just check the valves and if they're in spec ride it for awhile. If you plan to keep te bike for awhile then but a manual and don't be afraid to dig in. Good luck!

I just read in Dirt Rider where ktm techs were talking about 200 hrs on stock piston is more than feasible. They did a full breakdown of a 350 XCF-w which isn't an mxer but they said they rode it plenty hard which I believe.they had 61 hrs on it and said everything looked great. They also did another test with another 350 test where they said anything under 100 hrs is overkill as far as pistons and it's safer for a 450 since they don't rev as high. I say ride check the valves for a warm fuzzy and then ride that sucker.