Sign in to follow this  

California New to Southern California... Any riding clubs? Where to teach a mini rider?

Hey everybody.

I've read about the joys of riding in Southern California since the late 80's in the riding magazines, and always dreamt what it must be like.  Now, I can't believe I finally live here.  The sheer number of areas for riding that I'm seeing online and hearing about is pretty amazing.  It's like heaven. :-) My past experience is practice nights at motocross tracks 20 years ago, and trail riding in Missouri and Hawaii.  I'm somewhere between a Beginner/Novice rider.  I can hold my own, but nothing great.

Anyway, I bought a KTM 450 for myself, and a RM65 for my son and am getting the bikes ready for the season.  Are there any riding clubs or groups in the Inland Empire area?    

Also, where should I take my 10 year old son to learn how to ride?  He has ridden a KLX110 a few times before we moved here, and did incredibly well.  But, now he is practicing on how to use a clutch in the garage until riding season starts.  

Any suggestions?

I'm on the other side of the hill from you...  between Big Bear and Barstow.  Plenty of big boy and kid riding out here and in the hills between us. 

Watch for rides...  jump in...  have a good time...  meet some riding buddies.     

Any suggestions?

For your son - El Mirage.  It's a dry lake bed, so kids can feel comfortable immediately.  There's some outer areas to explore after you get comfortable.  After a couple of times, you'll be done with it and want to move on...

Thanks Jeff aka Travolta.  I'll keep looking on that website to see if you guys post an open ride.  The pictures of some of the riding areas you guys go to are unbelievable.  Awesome.

The pictures of some of the riding areas you guys go to are unbelievable.  Awesome.

You should have seen them 20-30 years ago.  What we have left is maybe, MAYBE 5 - 10 % of what WAS open back in the day....

• Like 2

Bill P... that is soooo sad.  I hate this politically correct over the top environmental movement that loves to take away the freedoms of others.  Well, we'll have to fight for the 5-10% to stay open until a more reasonable generation gets into political power.  Maybe then we can get some of those riding areas back.  :-)

Also, thanks for the El Mirage tip.

Thanks Jeff aka Travolta.  I'll keep looking on that website to see if you guys post an open ride.  The pictures of some of the riding areas you guys go to are unbelievable.  Awesome.

RIDERS used to be a lot of big group family style rides.  But since I moved to the desert, more quiet rides with a few buddies is where I am at.  So the public part of the RIDERS site is pretty dead.  Most of our open rides are posted here on TT anyway.   Lots of good guys here on TT.   The more you meet these fellas the more good stuff gets revealed. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Bill P... Maybe then we can get some of those riding areas back.  :-)

Also, thanks for the El Mirage tip.

That would be nice.  I'm afraid it won't be in my lifetime.  For those of us who experienced that freedom, it's very difficult to even look at the desert anymore and think about riding across it without a sense of sorrow and regret.  It's still got some great areas, but the "vibe" of the place has changed dramatically in the last 20-30.  Now when I ride I feel more like I'm a criminal.  Back in the day - pure unlimited freedom!  All that said, I'd still rather live in CA than Missouri or KS.  Now HI.....that's a different story.  :lol:    Enjoy it while you can.  By the time your son reaches adulthood, you'll likely be limited to riding @ Gorman and El Mirage.  Every other week, 3 months out of the year.  Best of luck with your son.  Sounds like a natural.  He'll dig EM until you guys start pushing out the wire borders....   :thumbsup:  :ride:  :ride:  :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill P and Jeff.  I appreciate your responses and insight.  Thanks for being nice and helpful.  Maybe we'll get to see each other someday out riding. :-)

And, yes California is definitely better than living in Missouri or Illinois.  Hawaii is great, but almost no riding areas.  California kind of has the best of everything... except the taxes and cost of living remind you we're paying for it.  It's worth it though.  Take care.

• Like 1

California kind of has the best of everything... except the taxes and cost of living remind you we're paying for it.  It's worth it though. 

It used to be worth it.  But for me?  Not any more.  I moved out of state.  Hasta la Viista baby....  heh heh  Enjoy it with el Jefe.

It used to be worth it. But for me? Not any more. I moved out of state. Hasta la Viista baby.... heh heh Enjoy it with el Jefe.

Here we go, perfect example of you bragging. Just stay in the AZ thread already. And watch out for RS wouldn't want you to get bit.

Hey everybody.

I've read about the joys of riding in Southern California since the late 80's in the riding magazines, and always dreamt what it must be like. Now, I can't believe I finally live here. The sheer number of areas for riding that I'm seeing online and hearing about is pretty amazing. It's like heaven. :-) My past experience is practice nights at motocross tracks 20 years ago, and trail riding in Missouri and Hawaii. I'm somewhere between a Beginner/Novice rider. I can hold my own, but nothing great.

Anyway, I bought a KTM 450 for myself, and a RM65 for my son and am getting the bikes ready for the season. Are there any riding clubs or groups in the Inland Empire area?

Also, where should I take my 10 year old son to learn how to ride? He has ridden a KLX110 a few times before we moved here, and did incredibly well. But, now he is practicing on how to use a clutch in the garage until riding season starts.

Any suggestions?

Ocotillio Wells has great family orientated riding area from Oct-May. Pick up a map and explore the park, it will be a great father son trip finding the odd things out in the open desert. Bring lots of water if you plan on riding in beginning of Oct. And just a good idea to bring lots of water to any desert anyways. Park far from ranger station so you get the full experience, I know your son will love it. Can't wait till my son gets older gonna take him there. :ride: Edited by Dirt_Bound
  • Like 1

Ocotillio Wells has great family orientated riding area from Oct-May. Pick up a map and explore the park, it will be a great father son trip finding the odd things out in the open desert. Bring lots of water if you plan on riding in beginning of Oct. And just a good idea to bring lots of water to any desert anyways. Park far from ranger station so you get the full experience, I know your son will love it. Can't wait till my son gets older gonna take him there. :ride:

I agree that ocotillo is the place that has it all. You can find yourself on fast trails, sand washes , hills or tech stuff. Love that place. And ya bring lots of water because it's a dry desert !!!!

Did the rangers close shell reef or have I been misinformed ?

Maybe for the life flight somebody probably cased and rag dolled. I've only seen the chopper on the ground a few times during season at shell reef but each time is a direct flight to the ER.

Maybe for the life flight somebody probably cased and rag dolled. I've only seen the chopper on the ground a few times during season at shell reef but each time is a direct flight to the ER.

got ya .. It's been a few sessions since I had time to head out that way so I am a little behind the curve. With a little luck I might get a trip in here before December . It's been tuff with a new 4 month old.

got ya .. It's been a few sessions since I had time to head out that way so I am a little behind the curve. With a little luck I might get a trip in here before December . It's been tuff with a new 4 month old.

I hear ya there. Congrats my son is 10 months now. We should dif hit OW this year supposed to be a wet winter.

I hear ya there. Congrats my son is 10 months now. We should dif hit OW this year supposed to be a wet winter.

right on congrats to you as well. Now that I am learning this site I will keep you posted with upcoming rides. Have you ever road bee canyon or batesta canyon in hemet ?