Sign in to follow this  

Oil Level

Did an oil change and put in 950ml as per manual states,   manual also states oil level should be visible on the site glass when the bike is level.

I know I have put 950ml in, but it does now show in the glass unless I tilt the bike on the angle.   Do i top it up till its visible with bike level, or be happy that i know I put in the correct amount as per the manual.

What happens if its overvilled, does it vent out anywhere, and can it cause issues?

I dump a quart in and call it a day when I change the filter. If you overfill it will dump out the tube near the shifter. That damn window is very misleading because half the time it shows nothing.

• Like 1

I dump a quart in and call it a day when I change the filter. If you overfill it will dump out the tube near the shifter. That damn window is very misleading because half the time it shows nothing.

What he said..

The window is not used to measure oil, just to make sure there's oil in the bike.

I use 1100cc of oil in an oil change. I have done this since my first KX450F in 07. It was suggested to me to just dump in a qt by a Team Green tech and when I did my bike started the whirring, whining noise that has been talked about so much on here. This was on my 2012 model. I have had 5 KX450Fs and it was the only one that made that noise. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. When I use  1100cc of oil and run my bike, the oil comes in the window about 3/4s of the way up after it sits for a while.

Tilt it, you see it, fire it up and work the engine a little.  Put on stand, full cool down, now look at sight glass.  If not present, add a little more till you're good to go.  Run it, cool down, check one more time.  There's a lot of little places the oil will go once you warm up the engine.  Allowing it to cool down and pool up is important.  I use about 1.2 quarts on full drain and filter change.  I don't mind if a little comes out of overflow, let's me know shit is working.

i prefer to dump a quart in after i let the bike drain for awhile, start the bike and let it idle for around 2-3 minuts with the bike perfectly upright, then hit the kill switch and let the bike cool for 10ish minuts and check it