2004 Wr250f grinding behind clutch

Hi all, chasing some advice...took the missus' Wr250f for a spin today and put it down gently in a creek bed onto rocks. Once I picked it back up there was an ugly grinding sound coming from clutch side..I babied it back to the car and took it home.

I've pulled it apart a bit, first thinking water pump issue, but that seemed fine.

I pulled off the clutch cover and noticed a shiny ball bearing stuck between the clutch basket and the bottom of the case.

I got it out an put it back together but it still makes the metal whirring/ grinding noise.

My guess is a fluffed bearing, but any directions on which one? I dont have the tools to pull the clutch basket off just yet so I can't investigate further.

Thanks for assistance!

1408768537738.jpg

That ball is almost certainly the ball that goes inside the mainshaft between the clutch push rod and the thrust bearing.  

You dropped it when you pulled the pressure plate off.

As deafrider suggested, study the parts diagram and you can easily see where that ball goes.

As far as the grinding goes, maybe the fall distorted the clutch cover .  .  .  .or something of the sort.  Though I have never seen such.  

Please let us know what you find. 

• Like 1

It's definitely not the ball from between the pushrod and the thrust bearing, as I pulled that out with a magnet after removing the loose one...it's either been rattling around for a while or it got dislodged from a bearing...I'm gunna try get a socket to remove clutch hub and see how I go...

I have had a quick look over the parts guides etc but I'm still unsure which bearing is behind the clutch (haven't pieced all the info together yet...)

Yeah I've never seen a bearing do that either, but so far it's the only explanation! Except that maybe if the clutch was replaced a whole ago and the little ball got lost in the engine and got replaced with a new one and now has come back around to haunt me :/ haha

Ok so borrowed a mates rattle gun and got the clutch basket off (which is stuffed from the ball rubbing) bearing behind the clutch is ok, still got all it's balls...

So far it's looking like a rogue ball has been flying around the sump from the previous owner and has stuffed my clutch up :/

Any other recommendations? I'm gunna pull the tappet cover and see if the cam chain tensioner has slipped and that might be causing the extra engine noise...

1408847528127.jpg

1408847544583.jpg

Did the noise change frequency with engine speed?

I'm thinking it would.

I was with JonK's diagnosis......so I'm waiting to see what it is too.

I had a similar thing with another bike, bro-n-law fell on a log on the clutch side.  The cover bowed in just enough to touch the basket.  Noise changed frequency with engine speed.  I replaced the cover.

That might explain it. The clutch does look in really good Nick with no wear....I put the cover back on without the clutch in it and the noise seems to have disappeared...I am gunna guess it was a combination of the ball bearing eating the clutch basket and the clutch rubbing...going to have to wait for a new clutch and check it out. In the mean time I'm gunna drain the oil and tAke the next case off to have a gander and make sure nothing else is rattling around...

Hmm, I'll have to check. I'm guessing there will be some due to the damage to the clutch basket...

I've never actually had a bearing fail on a bike, I'm guessing I'll know when it happens but what are some signs?

I wouldn't expect any bearing in that engine to be functional if it lost one of the steel balls.

I believe the bearing would have to fail and break apart for that to happen.

So, if the engine is running, I doubt that ball came from a bearing in the engine and I tend to think it was dropped or lost or left inside the engine sometime before you bought the bike.

That clutch basket has to be replaced, too.

Yeah, your probably right...that's the conclusion I'm coming too.

And yeah I know I'll have to replace clutch basket, should I go oem or a billet aftermarket one?

The price difference is about 100 bucks between them, OEM being more expensive.

An OEM basket should be fine, unless you are Bubba McCarmichael.

That ball is bugging me.  As I am sure it is bugging you.  You have the clutch down, is the mystery ball the same size as the pusher ball in the mainshaft?

Edited by Jon K.

The floater ball is the same size as the pusher in the clutch throw out, and it's also the same size as the bearing behind the clutch.

I have a feeling the aftermarket ones require replacement of the primary drive gear onto the basket.

It was my intention to at least check on the cam chain/tensioner. The bike has done 7500kms, should I go for a full rebuild while I'm at it (top and bottom end?) I'm thinking it should be ok if I leave it but I'm not sure...