Sign in to follow this  

I've got a leak under the engine and can't find it! Advice?

Hey Everybody.

I just bought a 2011 KTM 450SXF.  It looks pretty clean.  Very little wear on it.

Before I bought it, I checked everywhere for leaks or damage etc.  I've had 12 bikes in the distant past, but still know what to look for at least with 2 strokes.  This is my first thumper.  The bike started on the first turnover with the electric start...1/2 second.

Ran and rode great.  Checked for leaks again, and nothing.  Got a pretty good deal on it according to the market.  I researched for a few weeks. etc.  

Brought it home and started working on some maintenance items... bleeding breaks, flush radiator, filter, grease bearings etc. but have not changed the oil yet.  Was planning on doing it in the next week or so.  Trying to get everything ready for the offroad riding season in Southern California.

Anyway,  after a week sitting in my garage and looking at it every day... I noticed a small leak.  The under side of the case was a little dirty/oily, nothing I haven't seen in the past on my other bikes that didn't have leaks... so I cleaned it, and it leaked again a few drops within a few days... but I can't find the leak.  I can't find damage anywhere and it's a pretty fresh bike.  Honestly, this is the number one fear I had going to a four stroke... any major problem with the engine, or splitting the cases.  BIG $$$ stuff that I don't know how to do.  Anybody experience this?  Any advice would be helpful?

Does your wife/girlfriend/mate want revenge for something ? I have done this to a mate to wind him up . just put a few drops of oil under the bike . do this for a few weeks and it will drive you insane . and is very funny to watch when you know whats going on .

• Like 1

matt 71... unfortunately, my wife knows nothing about bikes and would never think of it.  I don't have any riding buddies yet that would play that trick on me.  Although, that is a hilarious, yet evil trick. lol  

BTW.  I used to live in Melbourne 9 years ago.  Absolutely love the Aussies and Australia.  

Does your wife/girlfriend/mate want revenge for something ? I have done this to a mate to wind him up . just put a few drops of oil under the bike . do this for a few weeks and it will drive you insane . and is very funny to watch when you know whats going on .

That is funny sh!t...>>>>>going to get my oil bottle right now  :devil:

Can you see it seeping from somewhere, or is it a magical leak?

These are the most common leaks on KTMs.

#1 countershaft seal.

#2 crank case vent tube.