Sign in to follow this  

'06 DRZSM won't crank...please help!

Guys, this bike is driving me mad! Love riding this bike but it's making me pull my hair out with all the issues so far. I went out for a ride today for about 70 miles total and about 2 miles from home, I stopped to top off the gas tank and it would not crank over for the life of me. After many unsuccessful attempts even with trying to jump start it from another battery when it was getting low, I ended up having to call AAA to tow me home.

I'm sad guys...I want to ride my bike :-( please help.

mmmmm...Californian model ?.. Has that still got the charcoal vapor recovery canister on it.?... It is a known cause for starting issues..

If it gets flooded with raw fuel it no longer allows the tank to vent., also causing a very rich condition as the vapors are sucked into the intake...resulting in hard or No starts

Most times this is seen when you lay the bike down,..Not sure if overfilling can cause it.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm very mechanically challenged so I will do my best to check the above advice. Will keep you posted on results.

Just to add to the post, I did not really understand the difference in settings on the petcock until researching more on my issue.  Apparently I been riding with the petcock on PRI and left it at that setting when I filled up the gas as mentioned earlier.  Just wanted to add this information in if it helps with the troubleshooting.

Like I said, I'm very mechanically challenged and slowly learning more about this bike.  Thanks again for any help guys.

Edited by Latimus

I would check the oil for a fuel type smell. Start it for 3 mins, then let it sit for 3 mins, finally check the oil level. Is it pass the full mark? Search this forum for leaking petcock. I'm sure yours is fine but leaving it on Pri full time will cause similar issues. Happy riding :)

I would check the oil for a fuel type smell. Start it for 3 mins, then let it sit for 3 mins, finally check the oil level. Is it pass the full mark? Search this forum for leaking petcock. I'm sure yours is fine but leaving it on Pri full time will cause similar issues. Happy riding :)

MadWasp, the issue right now is that the bike turns over but it's not running :(

So troubleshooting the bike some more this afternoon, I found some interesting factors that could have contributed to the problem.  I took the sparkplug out to verify spark but found the SP cable to be very loose as well as the actual SP in the cylinder.  I was actually able to unscrew the SP with my hand so obviously there was a compression issue due to the SP being loose.  After I finally got the SP out, there is still spark in the SP but it was very fouled.  I contribute this to me running and leaving the bike on PRI which could have more fuel into the system causing it to run rich.  At the time, I did not know the difference between PRI/ON/RES and the petcock w/ vacuum system until I started researching this issue :(

My battery is extremely weak so I'm due for a new battery and I figure it's a perfect excuse to justify getting a Ballistic lithium battery.  Another factor I'm thinking is that the battery amperage is too weak for it to crank over so maybe that's the issue.  I'll get a new SP next week and try again and hopefully it was something simple like this...we'll see.

On a side note, I remember my friend having issues with his DRZ with the same symptom and it ended up being a loose switch on his clutch cable like the one I highlighted in yellow here:

20140823_184517.jpg

In any case, I took some pictures of today's work while she's naked just to spice this thread up a bit.  Enjoy.

20140817_133657.jpg20140823_184526.jpg20140823_184535.jpg20140823_184546.jpg

Edited by Latimus
  • Like 1