Sign in to follow this  

Which one is a rocket - exc 500 vs exc 300

Hello,

after many years on road i tried more than 15 bikes - gsxr - rsv - r1 big bang - rc8 ect ect... Before this i rode on tt 600r - tm 125 - mx - yz 250 2t mx

Now i want go to buy totaly new bike (2nd time in mi live) - because i need stu..d plate to be legal - I thinking only about exc's..

Because im exciting with totaly new bike - I need to let her longer and kept me entertained! of the bikes I have to sit on my *** - the bike have to pull my hand's feeling is that the bike want's to rip my hand's from shoulders :-)
- you know bad *** - will be as close to MX bike as possible!

I want still sliping back wheel - do wheelies - i know normaly im using clutch bud i would like happy when i get full gas on 3rd gear and the front wheel goes up! - it would be beast!) 

So 3 weeks i read tons of info about - saw tons of videos - but i dont have live expirience - i only test 09 530exc (and this was pretty slow !!!)

Please give me your advice - expirience - I thinking about 500exc vs 300exc '15 six days. many thanks - and sorry for my english)) Jan

The 300 2T

get the jetting right , gearing to suit , they will wheelie ...easy

-- its still hard desicion . its like choosing between blonde and black hair girl :-D

• Like 1

Dude I think I know the feeling you're after and you'll never find it on a single cylinder engine. That speed pull. I miss it bad. That knee down coming out of a corner front wheel up sliding into the straight...holy hell this thing is awesome feeling. Nope not gonna find it in a single. But what I did find was a 450, with "instant on" put the front end where you want it, jump over this tree and launch that rock kinda' pull. That's fun as shit. I have found that you can slide, wheelie, jump, stand and fall over, pick the bike back up and do it all again. The only thing broken is your ego. I miss the street and at this point in my life the track is a pipe dream and costly. Hmm after the kids are gone...oh yeah some endurances races will be on the docket. Either way you go, 4t or 2t it's a different feel between sport bike and dirt bikes. Me if I were looking for balls? The 300 with some engine work, a re-gear and a pipe. Power to weight is better than a 4t and that hit is awesome.

• Like 1

Dude I think I know the feeling you're after and you'll never find it on a single cylinder engine. That speed pull. I miss it bad. That knee down coming out of a corner front wheel up sliding into the straight...holy hell this thing is awesome feeling. Nope not gonna find it in a single. But what I did find was a 450, with "instant on" put the front end where you want it, jump over this tree and launch that rock kinda' pull. That's fun as shit. I have found that you can slide, wheelie, jump, stand and fall over, pick the bike back up and do it all again. The only thing broken is your ego. I miss the street and at this point in my life the track is a pipe dream and costly. Hmm after the kids are gone...oh yeah some endurances races will be on the docket. Either way you go, 4t or 2t it's a different feel between sport bike and dirt bikes. Me if I were looking for balls? The 300 with some engine work, a re-gear and a pipe. Power to weight is better than a 4t and that hit is awesome.

Thanks.. so and you are satisfied with 4t,,, ?.. i thinking when i need sometimes cross road.. may better way is 4T.. when i will ride only in offroad - so after does not make sense have streetlegal (plate). So my brain told me go to 4t because may next summer you will miss cornering knee down ect - and there you can buy SM wheels and beat r1- gsxr guys  on technical track.. they thing how fast are thay i thought same :-)) My young ego told me 2T will crazy as u remember yz 250 this was hell.. but my brain thing exc will 80% hell of i remember from yz 250 which have 44kw and 90 kg :-)) otherwise - my pocket will empty - but i feel that now its time to buy totaly new bike after all supersports naked - cruisers - everything -> and i feel some spirit that offroad this way for me.. to stay here.. in my country ride on 185 hp supersports is very dangerous - the roads are bad and drivers in cars are very agresive.. so i can be glad that i survived.....

• Like 1

I'm fat and old. 450 is an easier bike for me to ride. Auto clutch , soften the suspension way, way up and you have a rolling couch. Couldn't stand the vibration of the 2 stroke.

When I left the street it had been 20 years a leg had gone over a dirt bike. Found a KTM 200 to get started on and it was the perfect bike to make my woods return on. Then I rode a WR 250 and realized that the 4t was way more forgiving that the 2t and it didn't vibrate. Then I rode a 450 with an auto clutch and that was that. Been on a KLX450 ever since. I try to get on as many different bikes as I can to compare and I still like my green bike.

• Like 1

The 300's can be very fast with a little work. But if you want to ride on the road at all I'd say the 500.

A ported cr500 if you want that arm ripping feeling! If it needs a tag. Aprilia rxv550.

Besides those options either of the ktms your interested in are perfect, maybe needing a little setting up to unleash there full potential as they are mild from the factory to be effective woods weapons. Smooth and controllable is faster in the woods than snappy and explosive.

Do Ktm have demo days in your area ?

I think you need to spend some time on them .

Thanks.. unfortunately in our country u can't make test ride.. nothing .. ktm days may once of year.. so there is only dealrs who not own any bike.. they send money to ktm after u buy than ktm send (papers - plate ect)... so hard.. yeas i thought about rxv 5,5 - but i saw bad review - lot of problems with electronic and engine....

The 500 exc is going to be the hands down favorite. Put a bit of work into a pipe, some efi tweaks and the such and it will be a monster. Sorry folks, but the 500 will just walk all over the 300. Granted, the 300 is lighter...but it also has a ton more vibration and the 500 is starting to scream when the 300 is falling off. I'm anything but biased, I own a killer 300. OTOH, the place where the three hundo shines is singletrack, I don't think that I would want the added weight of a 500 riding there.

Edited by orangyktmthing
  • Like 1

The 500 exc is going to be the hands down favorite. Put a bit of work into a pipe, some efi tweaks and the such and it will be a monster. Sorry folks, but the 500 will just walk all over the 300. Granted, the 300 is lighter...but it also has a ton more vibration and the 500 is starting to scream when the 300 is falling off. I'm anything but biased, I own a killer 300. OTOH, the place where the three hundo shines is singletrack, I don't think that I would want the added weight of a 500 riding there.

I don't know about that. I've owned both. The 500 really isn't that fast. Top speed wise yes, but in overall acceleration a 300 would have no issues in handling the 500....

I don't know about that. I've owned both. The 500 really isn't that fast. Top speed wise yes, but in overall acceleration a 300 would have no issues in handling the 500....

With the op looking for a streetable bike, that is another ding on the 300. I would rather ride the 500 on the street any day compared to the 300.

• Like 1

With the op looking for a streetable bike, that is another ding on the 300. I would rather ride the 500 on the street any day compared to the 300.

Agreed, a 300 2t on the street would become a nightmare....

• Like 2

Agreed, a 300 2t on the street would become a nightmare....

Thanks guys for expirience this is what i need.. Problem is yes: i expect better acceleration on exc 300 2t - (but i thing that its will not hell as i remember from MX YZ 250 2t - this was pretty cosmic power :-D) - if 300 exc will have cosmic power - in this case I would be possible forget on road... But my brain told - clever will be order 500... But is there rally big diferent in acceleration between 300exc 2t and 500 exc?... may 2t sound give more feel than is reality...  But if is 500 exc lazy acceleration ect... it bad :-//... so i dont know

The 300 2T

get the jetting right , gearing to suit , they will wheelie ...easy

The OP said he needs it to be plated/street legal, and as such is only looking at 350/500 EXCs.

I used to own/ride the biggest baddest sport bikes around CBR929RR, GSXR1000, Hayabusa. And of all the bikes I've ever ridden, the best wheelie machine of all bar none was a KTM 525 I rode probably 8 years ago. It wasn't mine, I wasn't used to it, and still made that determination riding it about 5-10 minutes... nearly all of which were on the back wheel. It would pull up so effortlessly 3rd or 4th (never tried 5th, I'm sure it would have though) it was just stupid.... I called it the 'dial-a-wheelie' as that's what it felt like, twist the throttle, dial up your wheelie as high and long as you like.

So back to the OP, if a wheelie monster is what you're after, then you want the 500. Yes the 350 will wheelie just fine, but you'll have to work at it a little more. A 500 (geared properly) will be a dial-a-wheelie just like  I described. Enjoy.