FCR vs CVK + cams - help me spend some money

The thread title probably gives the game away to a large extent - however - allow me to elaborate. I currently have a DRZ400SM with 3x3, Yoshi RS-2 and JD jet kit.

I remember reading on the forum somewhere (can't find the thread of course when the moment requires) that a FCR with an aftermarket corked pipe can result in a marriage not made in heaven. 

Corked pipe is not going to change as my neighbors currently ask with genuine interest - "how's the bike going" - and I have no desire to turn that into a neighborhood noise issue.

I'm also a father of 2 with a mortgage. I'm not crying poor, just that the DRZ ain't priority number one.

So, to the point. I have a properly functioning bsr36 with jetting that does the job just fine (with RS-2). By "just fine", I mean lean jetting surge non-existent.

But, like most, the idea of getting more out of the bike is on the agenda.

A CVK all set up is less of a drain on the hip pocket than a FCR, so the remainder could be used for hot cams.

So the question is, FCR and sort the corked pipe jetting issues or CVK plus hot cams right now? Of course jetting is not magically answered either way - I get that.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the link Craig. Read that thread from start to finish - lots of food for thought.

In terms of cruiser vs screamer, in many respects, the bike is a weekend release mechanism. I used to surf for the same outcome, but with age, slightly dodgy back etc, this is looking like the replacement.  The rides I go on are "spirited" by old fart standards, but not death defying.

Truth be told, I will spend bucks on this bike either way. It's the new hobby. I guess it's more of a timing issue.

I could buy a CVK, leave it in the garage for a while and then buy a jet kit and whatever bits eventually . . . etc.

Chook, I get your point about he FCR. Having seen you drift in a link I saw recently, I guess I understand Craig's point about "cruising".

The thread title probably gives the game away to a large extent - however - allow me to elaborate. I currently have a DRZ400SM with 3x3, Yoshi RS-2 and JD jet kit.

I remember reading on the forum somewhere (can't find the thread of course when the moment requires) that a FCR with an aftermarket corked pipe can result in a marriage not made in heaven. 

Corked pipe is not going to change as my neighbors currently ask with genuine interest - "how's the bike going" - and I have no desire to turn that into a neighborhood noise issue.

I'm also a father of 2 with a mortgage. I'm not crying poor, just that the DRZ ain't priority number one.

So, to the point. I have a properly functioning bsr36 with jetting that does the job just fine (with RS-2). By "just fine", I mean lean jetting surge non-existent.

But, like most, the idea of getting more out of the bike is on the agenda.

A CVK all set up is less of a drain on the hip pocket than a FCR, so the remainder could be used for hot cams.

So the question is, FCR and sort the corked pipe jetting issues or CVK plus hot cams right now? Of course jetting is not magically answered either way - I get that.

Wombat, I have a full RS3 w/3x3. I did the CVK and also got E model cams. There is a huge difference in power now. I would highly recommend keeping the Yoshi and adding cams and CVK. You will not be disappointed........

IMO, an FCR is very expensive when compared to a CVK......to each his own, but the difference isn't that great to pay the extra monies. There is more than one thread on this, read what others had to say.....no one was disappointed.  ?

Either way, good luck with your choice and post a pic or two of what you decided......

• Like 4

My vote goes to CVK40 and hot cams. Like the Signman says, you won't be disappointed. If you really want to try out an FCR, you could easily sell a CVK40 to someone with a DRZ at a later date. Probably get back what you paid for it too.

Good luck!

Edited by JFM43
  • Like 3

Either way you can't really lose.....

Running a corked pipe with either carb , there will still be a little better performance overall with an Fcr ,including better throttle response ...

At wot the CVK has the restriction of the throttle plate and still rely's on engine vacuum to lift the slide...

On the negative for the Fcr....

You have the possible hesitation with the cork, though only if you want to throttle quick from low rpm...

And there is higher initial cost....

From a performance perspective....If there was no cork in the equation and money wasn't considered......the Fcr would be the winner, but even so, the Fcr would still be what I would go for.....

Alternatively increasing the displacement is adding good overall gains with the stock carb....

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 3

Wombat , I havent checked the price on a new FCR/MX for some time , but when I bought mine in 2010 , it was 770 aussie . I paid for it with kevin rudds stimulus payment , so it wasnt too much of a problem . But if they are still relatively high , you could do the CVK/hotcams or E cams and maybe if your lucky a big bore for nearly as much as the FCR/MX , greg

• Like 2

Wombat , I havent checked the price on a new FCR/MX for some time , but when I bought mine in 2010 , it was 770 aussie . I paid for it with kevin rudds stimulus payment , so it wasnt too much of a problem . But if they are still relatively high , you could do the CVK/hotcams or E cams and maybe if your lucky a big bore for nearly as much as the FCR/MX , greg

Yes, there really is not much diff between the FCR39 and a well setup CVK40. I done both mods and ended with the CVK40, and a few extra bucks in my pocket. Believe me, you will be better off with the CVK and cams VS an FCR39.

• Like 3

For the budget minded, CVK is a very good alternative.  It's really just a 4mm larger BSR, size makes a difference.

Wouldn't call the CVK an arm stretcher, but it is much more responsive than stock.

CVK will drop in using existing throttle cable and intake boots.

Installation is tight but not impossible.

The CVK responds well to cam and exhaust mods.

Once jetted, it is not a drama queen.

Search for CVK40 posts, good info to know before you take the leap.

Ask, we're here to help.

• Like 4

For the budget minded, CVK is a very good alternative.  It's really just a 4mm larger BSR, size makes a difference.

Wouldn't call the CVK an arm stretcher, but it is much more responsive than stock.

CVK will drop in using existing throttle cable and intake boots.

Installation is tight but not impossible.

The CVK responds well to cam and exhaust mods.

Once jetted, it is not a drama queen.

Search for CVK40 posts, good info to know before you take the leap.

Ask, we're here to help.

I wouldn't call the FCR an arm stretcher either. I'd say the CVK40 is at least 3/4 what an FCR is VS stock. The FCR is slightly more responsive. Slightly. As I said, I've done both mods. There is not that much difference. There just isn't.

My opinion that's all.

Edited by JFM43
  • Like 3

Thanks for all of the great input.

Signman and 38super, the posts with your info more than anything else is what got me interested in this idea. JFM, I also recall reading (was probably you) of someone who had an FCR and couldn't get it running well and ended up going with a CVK.

I really like the idea of cams, BBK and FCR/CVK that many have alluded to. It's where I'm heading, just not all at once.

Is it worth looking for a good CVK and spending a bit extra? From what I read, most seemed to think just about any CVK is fine. I was thinking that since they aren't that expensive to start with, spending a bit more on a good one might be worthwhile. Anyone have an opinion on this?

• Like 2

Signman and 38super, the posts with your info more than anything else is what got me interested in this idea. JFM, I also recall reading (was probably you) of someone who had an FCR and couldn't get it running well and ended up going with a CVK.

I really like the idea of cams, BBK and FCR/CVK that many have alluded to. It's where I'm heading, just not all at once.

Is it worth looking for a good CVK and spending a bit extra? From what I read, most seemed to think just about any CVK is fine. I was thinking that since they aren't that expensive to start with, spending a bit more on a good one might be worthwhile. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Of course....Get as low a km CVK carb that you can find...you don't want to be wasting cash on carb rebuilds...

• Like 1

Agree with Craigo.....don't buy one you have to rebuild, get a decent one off a fairly newer bike and just get the DynoJet stage II needle....drill out the slide for better and quicker response, and get a choke, which is around $20.....even with all that I've mentioned, you're less than half, closer to a third of what an FCR will cost you.

• Like 1

We're here because none of us have won the lottery and support rent/mortgage, kids, wife (aka War Dept), alimony, bills and taxes.

You will see a full Monte DRZ, but you can't appreciate how each piece effects improvement (well, most of the time). 

Example, stock cams vs HC Stage 1s - Think RV cam, better overall but not a vast improvement. 

Yes, unfortunately I was one of those that was not able to get the FCR to an acceptable level, I always had to tinker with it. I've read several posts and gotten several PM's about issues exactly like the ones I had. Mainly, bogging with quick throttle opening. I think some just deal with it. I'm probably too picky. ?  I went back to the stock carb for a while then did the CVK40 mod. Been happy ever since.

CVK40 never needs any adjusting, just start up and ride.

Edited by JFM43
  • Like 3