Sign in to follow this  

Snow tires

Has anyone on here used a paddle tire in the snow on there Dirtbike? Or would I be better off just getting cold kutter ice screws and putting them in my spare mx tires for the winter? I've herd that the home made way works better with the cement screws and bolt. I'm not ice racing. Just like to have fun in the snow on my bike

i have run a paddle tire in the deep snow, it actually works really well in deeper dense snow, I have also run Kold Kutters on a knobby and it works good in heavily packed snow and ice. This year i am actually going to make a grip stud studded skat track paddle tire, with bolts incorporated to try and create an all around tire that can handle deep drifts.

i have run a paddle tire in the deep snow, it actually works really well in deeper dense snow, I have also run Kold Kutters on a knobby and it works good in heavily packed snow and ice. This year i am actually going to make a grip stud studded skat track paddle tire, with bolts incorporated to try and create an all around tire that can handle deep drifts.

that's cool .. Send me some pics of it when u get it done. I might have to try somthing like that

The last thing I'm thinking about right know is snow......

I posted a video in the below thread which was basically the method I used last winter

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1031946-tire-studs/?hl=+studded +tires

I also posted my take in this thread (pics missing but below are some before and after) but basically they were AWESOME in anyting below skid plate deep snow. Give this a try and you'll find out pretty quick if you like them.

If you try this on some old tires..

- use less screws than you think on the front.

- tighten the crap out of the nut's till there recessed into the knob.

- on the back, I took an old Super heavy duty tube and sliced it around the inside and put in as a liner between the tire and another super heavy duty tube. It's a bitch to get in and I still end up flatting after a few HARD rides but there's so much rubber in the tire that I didn't even notice it was flat. I think I got even better rear traction.

- and I call them the manglers

Were I live on the coast of the PNW, we actually rarely get snow below 1500ft BUT I'm seriously looking into eitherbuying pre-studded tires or getting my local automotive shop to stud some tires for this winter

DSCF0244.1.jpg

DSCF0249.1.jpg

DSCF0296.JPG

forgot to mention most my friends used grip studs which work awesome and last ultra long due to the carbide tips, the only down side is they cost at about $1 a stud. I would disagree with filterx about the front tire, I pack as many studs as I can on the front, concentrating them on the sides if you are limited in how many you have, the more you add the harder and faster you can corner.

Edited by Wild Alaskan