Sign in to follow this  

Racers: What gear for the motocross start?

My bike is a 2010 YZ250 with a stock engine. I am +1 tooth on the rear sprocket, and I can't seem to get a decent 2nd gear start without a big bog. Not enough throttle / clutch on my part, or does this bike just not like 2nd gear starts?  

Thanks!

Guess it depends on rider weight, concrete vs dirt start and ability/clutch control. I'm 165 before gear, race A class and always use 2nd on concrete and muddy starts.

My starts are usually dirt and I'm about 190lbs with gear. 20+ years ago racing a Kawie 250, I could do 2nd gear starts all day long - but I was 20 lbs lighter too...

2nd gear for sure. If you have the RPM's  high  enough it will not bog. Set way forward and get your upper body and head as far forward as you can too or you will loop out. If it starts to wheelie bump the clutch a little to bring the front down don't let up on the gas. HANG ON....

Good luck

• Like 1

2nd gear starts for sure. I always get good starts in 2nd. Try about half throttle in 2nd gear, That's usually the best. I got a whole shot device so I can have it 2nd revved out before the gate drops and not have to worry about the front tire lifting up. I have gotten so much better starts with it.

Thanks Guys!

I think I'm a bit rich on the pilot jet too, which probably isn't helping things either. I'll try the next step leaner and give your advice a shot...

:ride:

2nd gear, pin the throttle wait for the gate to drop and then it is all just slipping the living daylights out of the clutch.   This way throttle is always consistant and you have only the clutch to control.  Pilot jet has nothing to do with a good start. 

Theres your issue if your worried about the pilot off the start, you dont have the throttle on far enough! Get on that main jet and hammer down son!

Sliiiiiiiip that clutch full throttle until its pulling hard on its own no bog. Keep it screaming out of the hole while slipping the clutch as your traction control, wheelie control, and bog avoider if that makes sense.

Itll pull second believe me. I was pulling 3rd gear starts on a cr250 at 220lbs. And it was pulling them with authority.

• Like 2