SSR 125

I have a highly modded ssr 125 i use for rippin up apple orchrds and the pit bike races here and there... it went from the stock 125, then added a race cam...few months later threw in a 150cc piranha :D ...now it has a full race head, BBK and a PE 28 carb... she sounds like a big bike and she has all the power you ever wanted and then some... best thing you can do is use a VM26 carb for that 125 motor...carb alone will make the motor run so much better...a big bore kit (BBK) is a bigger sized piston in width and comes with a cylinder for the bigger piston...the BBK will add power everywere...also if you are gonna use a BBK upgrade the 2 plate clutch to a 3 plate clutch... the BBK will chew the 2 plate clutch up...

Edited by deafrider250f
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked on easier bikes to modify, that is for sure.  Problem is, even the SSR people know very little about specifications on this bike, and most of what they do know is not correct. Example: they say inverted forks use 120cc of oil.  HA HA, I emptied out 230cc from each leg. (use 20 weight fluid). I called them again to see if they corrected their information and they had not, I do not trust them for information.  I also would not make changes to your bike unless you have

Technical experience with them. do not make any changes until you break something, or get bored with the way your bike performs..  I did a simple suspension upgrade and modifications, and that took me over a month to sort out all the problems with adding just one and half inch of travel to front inverted forks. To get more rear travel I put a slightly longer better quality shock on it, and had to modify the upper mount to keep same geometry configuration.  Kicks butt now.  Stick with simple stuff like carb changing, better air cleaner better tires, stuff like that at first. Then follow what Deafrider250 said to do.  Its no fun having your bike sitting in garage waiting for someone to help solve  your technical issues or just gathering simple information about the bike.  Ride that puppy, break it, then improve it. 

Gary ... ssr125 tr owner

• 2 weeks later...

I have a highly modded ssr 125 i use for rippin up apple orchrds and the pit bike races here and there... it went from the stock 125, then added a race cam...few months later threw in a 150cc piranha :D ...now it has a full race head, BBK and a PE 28 carb... she sounds like a big bike and she has all the power you ever wanted and then some... best thing you can do is use a VM26 carb for that 125 motor...carb alone will make the motor run so much better...a big bore kit (BBK) is a bigger sized piston in width and comes with a cylinder for the bigger piston...the BBK will add power everywere...also if you are gonna use a BBK upgrade the 2 plate clutch to a 3 plate clutch... the BBK will chew the 2 plate clutch up...

Yes but I'd say clutch kit first. Before any motor mods. Reliability is key to enjoying your pit bike make it reliable before you make it fast. I put a 3 plate clutch in almost 2 years ago and its still good. Also if you have things like the sheet metal tensioners on your rear wheel ditch them and modify a set of quick adjustment ones or make a set. Chains always break so I switched to farm implement chains .40 I think. They don't wear your sprockets as quick and there cheap and easy to replace from most farm supply stores (not having to order them on line is nice to) plus master links at farm supply stores are 5$ for a bag of 4 where I am. Switched all my cables for Teflon coated go cart cables from the local motorsport shop (some modifications required) made in America and much better quality (so far.. only a month old now). Make a better guard for your stator so when your chain does break (it will) it won't smash the little magnet off. I made mine out of machinable 2 part apoxy and milled it to fit inside the stator cover.. no more replacing stators! IMPORTANT!!!- good tires and rim liners!!!! Factory ones suck and good tires will make a huge difference. I'm sure there was a few other reliability mods I'm forgetting but you get the point.. I won't get into performance stuff for now that's another novel. Another thing I should point out is a lot of mods people like myself and I believe slip has done don't come with instructions and there are no parts to buy on line to do these mods. Get creative and ask questions. Most of us will be glad to post pics and directions for anyone trying to learn.
  • Like 1

spencersmith89

YOU SAID:  "Make a better guard for your stator so when your chain does break (it will) it won't smash the little magnet off. I made mine out of machinable 2 part apoxy and milled it to fit inside the stator cover.. no more replacing stators!."

OK.. so tell me more about how to make this stator chain protector?   

The impression I got was, you mixed up some epoxy, and placed it inside the stator cover where the chain MIGHT hit it and break it.   Can you put in order a list of what you did, how you did it for me?  Thanks

Gary   (slip57@att.net)

ssr 125 tr owner

Its actually a tube of almost putty you kneed for about 2 minutes until its warm and mixed together. I buy it at Napa auto parts for about 10$ a tube. I did this because I was breaking stators a lot. Remove the stator cover, clean the surface well, prep the epoxy and apply liberally behind the stator. Don't worry if your cover won't fit yet. As it starts to set (about 5 minutes) take some chisels, files, and sand paper and shape as desired. Dont worry if it goes completely solid you may just need to use a dremmel instead of by hand. Mine isn't the prettiest but it has worked for a year without issue. Ill post pictures in a minute and ill see if I have a tube of the epoxy around to post a pic of it in a bit.

Sorry the pics suck but this is the best I can do with my phone. I posted pics of the epoxy I used as well. Keep in mind the hotter it gets the harder it gets. It's a little less than half a tube to do this and about 20-30 min total. The epoxy is fully machinable and I've used it on cracked engine blocks, rads, stripped bolt holes and just about everything else. You can actually drill and tap it and still torque to speck for many applications. Any other questions feel free to ask.

1410981716816.jpg

1410981729568.jpg

1410981752922.jpg

1410981777456.jpg

spencersmith89

YOU SAID: "Make a better guard for your stator so when your chain does break (it will) it won't smash the little magnet off. I made mine out of machinable 2 part apoxy and milled it to fit inside the stator cover.. no more replacing stators!."

OK.. so tell me more about how to make this stator chain protector?

The impression I got was, you mixed up some epoxy, and placed it inside the stator cover where the chain MIGHT hit it and break it. Can you put in order a list of what you did, how you did it for me? Thanks

Gary (slip57@att.net)

ssr 125 tr owner

Sorry if you were expecting something more elaborate but I went for cheap and effective here to solve an ongoing problem I had.
  • Like 1

If I am wrong with next statement, let me know.

so to protect against tossing a chain and smashing my stator or cracking a center case, I spread epoxy on inside of stator cover, directly in line with chain, this should beef it up enough to prevent extreme damages. ???

If I got this right, no need to answer.

Thanks for the tip, I was concerned about tossing a chain again and trashing my center cases AGAIN.   ha  YUP it happen to my race bike years ago.  

Here is my TIP: if the chain does no longer need to be adjusted after every ride, its time to replace it.  Chains MUST STRETCH, or else break.

Gary

If I am wrong with next statement, let me know.

so to protect against tossing a chain and smashing my stator or cracking a center case, I spread epoxy on inside of stator cover, directly in line with chain, this should beef it up enough to prevent extreme damages. ???

If I got this right, no need to answer.

Thanks for the tip, I was concerned about tossing a chain again and trashing my center cases AGAIN. ha YUP it happen to my race bike years ago.

Here is my TIP: if the chain does no longer need to be adjusted after every ride, its time to replace it. Chains MUST STRETCH, or else break.

Gary

I replace my chain regularly but due to riding in muddy conditions I still toss chains every so often and yes to everything except the spreading its more like silly putty you mold it a little as you press it or spread it in.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a 6ft 3in guy and weight 205lbs. I didn't know if I could ride a 2013 ssr 125 without my knees going into the handle bars. Also how fast will this bike go when I'm on it? I don't really want to add anything to the bike.

Here is a link to the bike I'm looking at https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/5720900577.html

Edited by Roberge2001
  • Like 1

• TT Sponsor

I'm a 6ft 3in guy and weight 205lbs. I didn't know if I could ride a 2013 ssr 125 without my knees going into the handle bars. Also how fast will this bike go when I'm on it? I don't really want to add anything to the bike.

Here is a link to the bike I'm looking at https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/5720900577.html

Your going to be cramped on any 50 base Pit bike 

Consider a mid size 

Edited by T Bolt USA

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2014 at 10:13 AM, deafrider250f said:

A 150cc piranha top end? Also, what other top ends would fit an ssr125? Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2014 at 9:13 AM, deafrider250f said:

I realize this is an old thread but regardless I was wondering what do I all need to buy when replacing the clutch like you mentioned? Is it just the clutch basket or are there more parts that I would need to get? My bike is a 125 XMOTOS with a Zongshen engine and the clutch is front mounted. It's basically stock other then it has a front 16t sprocket but soon to have a 17T. Also I have the VM22 (26MM) Mikuni Carb with racing CDI and Coil. I was thinking about getting a bigbore kit and a larger head to fit, but since you recommended the clutch first I'd like to try that.