Sign in to follow this  

2013 RMZ250 Power commander 5 vs Remapped ECU

Well everyone I'm creating this thread to get ready to compare these two units for all my fellow RMZ Brethren. Stay tuned. ill be getting the remapped ECU back by this week on Friday. Feel free to ask any questions while I await my ECU from The Moto Lab. Also an FYI I'm selling my Power commander 5 with auto tune assembly. Check out the classified sections my friends.

PC5 package 5.jpg

Right now there is not much to share. I'm still waiting for my ecu from ups. yes, Tom at The Moto Lab remapped the stock ecu. He charges $50 for a map. Then you pay shipping toward/return. Tom had my ecu for about 4 days. He was extremely busy. Most of the time, is eaten up by shipping. Takes soooo long. Moto lab is CT, I'm in NM. Long way. I'll be getting it tomorrow HOPEFULLY. THEN ill be riding sat, sun, & Monday. Then post review

Btw, The moto Labs customer service is legit. Tom kept in contact with me the whole time. Also there was an issue with the ups store, and tom went out o his way and called them , resolved the issue; then called me back asap

Well guys, doesnt look like ill be riding this weekend :o. Iv tried every place or person who sells VP fuel. Everyone is out o town or out o fuel or just closed. Blah!

1409423056972.jpg

Finally! I purchased VP U4 this weekend and rode sat & sun. I rode two 20 mile loops and did two 20min motos on a track. Before I dive into the test ride, I need to reiterate that the professionalism and customer service that Tom at the moto Lab offer is Bar None. He stayed in contact, went out of his way to get me a tracking #, and has even contacted me to see how the bike ran.

• Like 1

Now on to the review! After checking all my connections and applying electrical grease, I filled up the black and yellow with u4. I performed 5 slow and full kicks to prime the fuel lines and charge the magneto. Then I gave her one good clean kick and BAM. FIRED right up. Way easier then my previous setup. Next when idling, my hr meter was registering at 2200. So after warmed up, I slowed the idle down 2 clicks. She now purrs at 2050. Now, as far as the characteristics go, I immediately noticed the crisp clean response from idle and so on. I also recognized that the power throughout the curve was more broad from low to top. The combination of the remap and new fuel gave the 250 a good hit in the mid and top end. The low end is great, but come on guys, we all know a 250 needs to be run up top, right? Finally and most importantly, I noticed that the bike did not use so much fuel on the 20 milea loops. I came back and had planty fuel left. That's huge in my eyes. Oh and one more thing. The bike pulled so much longer. A brave soul could ring out this bike at 12600 rpms and it was still pulling. Well, there you have it. Hope this review was helpful in anyway possible. By the way, I have not tried the alternate couplers yet. That's next weekend.

Ok, now that I've covered the moto lab remapped ecu. I'll discuss the power commander 5. First of all, the pc5 is a piggy back system so keep this in mind. It cost $275 for the unit and $350 for the autotune unit. The remapped ecu cost $85 including round trip shipping. This is HUGE. Next, the pc5 is all plug n play. It is extremely easy to install. After installing, you need to upload a base map and select target afr's. After all this, the tps sensor needs to be calibrated etc. the autotune unit has an o2 sensor that needs to be attached using a bung provided by dyno jet. This alone, is a pain in the ash if you don't know a welder. Next, keep in mind that the o2 sensor maps the bike on the fly, so with this said, you should not use leaded fuel. Unleaded race fuel is a 8itch to come by around here. Anyways, the pc5 when installed and has a decent base map and target afr, the pc5 is a great tool. Adjusting the bike is fun and affective. It's great if your a picky rider and love making changes. The pc5 does help bike deliver power better and improves overall performance. The only 2 things I hate about this unit is that I had to use unleaded fuel, which difficult to get and expensive. Also the location, is a terrible design. Overall, the pc5 does; in fact, do what it says it will do. The pc5 is a good product, but anyone who enjoys saving some coin, will agree that $85 is soooo much better than dropping $600.

Edited by slowgs2001

Good review and welcome to the club. I have yet to hear a bad review from a single person that has used Tom, at least any of the people that I have referred to him. Even when he is swamped he goes out of his way to accommodate every single customer personally. 

If you have $600+ to spend then by all means grab a PC-5 or a Vortex and hook it up but for anyone wanting results that are every bit as good at about 1/9th the cost then Tom is your man. 

The only downfall I can envision with having the stock ECU remapped is that if you mod your bike too far then you will need to send the ECU back to him for a new map

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

Tom's very good with suspension also! I had him revalve my 2011 Suzuki RMZ 450 over last winter and what a huge difference! Very Happy! I've dealt with a couple suspension companies and Tom's stuff is as good or better plus his customer service way out shines the others like slowgs2001 says! Tom's Moto867 on here great guy

Very good review slowgs2001!

Edited by New to 4S-Joe
  • Like 1

9This weekend I did a lot of riding with the rich and lean coupler. The lean coupler made the bike much more.responsive and the rear wheel would break traction much more. The conditions were dry so I need a lot of throttle control. Only thing with the lean coupler was that the bike would ; at times, pop. The rich coupler made the bike run smooth. I actually loved how the bike ran with this coupler. This coupler helped in the dry conditions. The power wasn't so explosive. Nice and linear. Bike had some great bottom and pulled a lot up top. The engine sounded smooth also. No pops. No matter which coupler I used, the bike started easy, one or two kicks only.

Edited by slowgs2001
  • Like 2

9This weekend I did a lot of riding with the rich and lean coupler. The lean coupler made the bike much more.responsive and the rear wheel would break traction much more. The conditions were dry so I need a lot of throttle control. Only thing with the lean coupler was that the bike would ; at times, pop. The rich coupler made the bike run smooth. I actually loved how the bike ran with this coupler. This coupler helped in the dry conditions. The power wasn't so explosive. Nice and linear. Bike had some great bottom and pulled a lot up top. The engine sounded smooth also. No pops. No matter which coupler I used, the bike started easy, one or two kicks only.

The differences are amazing aren't they? The bike will only get better as you get used to the changes.  

I still don't understand how they can be so far off (in terms of crispness) from the factory. 

• Like 1