Sign in to follow this  

TDC

I have searched the threads and can't find a definitive answer to this. When installing a MCCT I understand you have to find TDC first. I have read that you need to have the line next to the T showing in the viewing window. If I do this, how do I know I'm on the right stroke (without taking the cover off and looking at the position of the cams). Or, maybe it doesn't matter which stroke as long as the line by the T is showing in the window? Would be grateful if someone would clarify.

You can put something down the sparkplug hole and see that the piston is on the way up as the crank approaches the TDC mark.

edit: This is obviously incorrect, and the result of of late night TT'ing. A soft boiled moment.

Edited by ohtobias

You can put something down the sparkplug hole and see that the piston is on the way up as the crank approaches the TDC mark. 

Thank you.

If you're removing stuff to install the MCCT, it only takes a few minutes longer to pull the valve cover to verify TDC. At this point you're 90% done with the work to check the valve clearance. It's like you get two important tasks done for the price of one.

• Like 1

That still wouldn't tell you if you are in the right stroke...

• Like 1

Line it up on the compressoin stroke to find TDC.  If you don't feel compression when you line it up keep turning it till you do.

• Like 3

Having it on TDC compression stroke ensures the cam position is right

Lol

Unless it was already out of time...yes....Lol.

In which case it makes it plainly obvious it is so.

Game, Set, Match  :p

Nothing personal E.....but you remind me of a bar I used to go to years ago. 

The bouncers started more fights than the patrons !   :naughty:

Nothing personal E.....but you remind me of a bar I used to go to years ago. 

The bouncers started more fights than the patrons !   :naughty:

Nothing personal bill..

I answered the OP correctly, completely and with all the info needed yesterday at 1:31

go to the FAQ and read through the MCCT install article 

Then line up your timing index mark in the window, with the cam lobes pointed out at roughly 10 & 2...just like the picture in the article show. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552694-mcct-install-guide-and-why-one-is-recommended/

You and others continued to "help" with various suggestions.... so I played along even after the OPs' information need was addressed. ..

My apologies if that offended you

May I suggest 

Ignore

The "ignore" tab allows you to configure your Ignore settings - you can choose to hide individual member's posts, signatures, chats, status updates, or other aspects of a member that you wish to hide.

• Like 1

Nothing personal bill..

I answered the OP correctly, completely and with all the info needed yesterday at 1:31

You and others continued to "help" with various suggestions.... so I played along even after the OPs' information need was addressed. ..

My apologies if that offended you

May I suggest 

Ignore

So all these topics with pages & pages of comments & suggestions should stop once you recommend a FAQ.  Or do you like to be a smart ass and take a few pot shots first.

Have a nice day.

So all these topics with pages & pages of comments & suggestions should stop once you recommend a FAQ. Or do you like to be a smart ass and take a few pot shots first.

Have a nice day.

Please use the ignore feature