Identify cylinder

can anyone confirm if this is a stock suzuki cylinder or not from these photos?

thing is when I bought my bike the PO told me it had had a top end rebuild with new piston (told me it was a wossner) & a nikasil plated cylinder but didn't say if it was stock or big bore (& i wasn't clued up on drz's back then so didn't ask & just presumed it was stock bore) but thinking about it if you were gonna do that work to it most people would go with a big bore, & if you've read my other posts from recently you'll know I'm having trouble jetting mine as it gives more power with airbox door off & runs well on smaller main jets than other stock bore motors so if it was a big bore this is starting make sense?? 

when I did the head gasket early last year before I'd done any major engine mods i checked the piston to see if it looked any different than a suzuki piston & it did so I know the PO had used a new after market piston but I had no reason to suspect bore diameter back then so didn't measure it

any ideas folks??

20140823_193515.jpg

20140823_193805.jpg

20140823_193836.jpg

20140823_194020.jpg

20140823_194327.jpg

20140823_194609.jpg

can anyone confirm if this is a stock suzuki cylinder or not from these photos?

thing is when I bought my bike the PO told me it had had a top end rebuild with new piston (told me it was a wossner) & a nikasil plated cylinder but didn't say if it was stock or big bore (& i wasn't clued up on drz's back then so didn't ask & just presumed it was stock bore) but thinking about it if you were gonna do that work to it most people would go with a big bore, & if you've read my other posts from recently you'll know I'm having trouble jetting mine as it gives more power with airbox door off & runs well on smaller main jets than other stock bore motors so if it was a big bore this is starting make sense?? 

when I did the head gasket early last year before I'd done any major engine mods i checked the piston to see if it looked any different than a suzuki piston & it did so I know the PO had used a new after market piston but I had no reason to suspect bore diameter back then so didn't measure it

any ideas folks??

Not definitive... but it appears to be a OEM cylinder that has been in a shop worked on and marked (stamped) by that shop.

Now what if anything was done to the cylinder?  No idea and no way to tell via some pictures on the internet. 

Not definitive... but it appears to be a OEM cylinder that has been in a shop worked on and marked (stamped) by that shop.

Now what if anything was done to the cylinder?  No idea and no way to tell via some pictures on the internet. 

it was done by previous owner just before i bought it, he said the bike had been stood for a while & had seized so he'd put a new wossner piston & niksal plated cylinder on the engine, the guy was a petrol head he had a few bikes & cars & had bought the drz for himself but then he got offered a husky so bought that & sold me the dizzer so I don't know exactly what had been done to it

Edited by carlspeaky

When you replaced the head gasket - what head gasket did you use?  A stock 90mm bore gasket will over lap the bore if the bore is oversize. What gasket did you use and how did it fit?

good point i should of thought of that, ?  I used a 90mm gasket & although it was a mate who did most of the work when we did the gasket he would of noticed if it overlapped but he didn't say anything.My brain is scrambled atm coz i just cant think of why my bike seems to have more power with smaller main jet than what everybody else uses   :excuseme:

Edited by carlspeaky

When you replaced the head gasket - what head gasket did you use?  A stock 90mm bore gasket will over lap the bore if the bore is oversize. What gasket did you use and how did it fit?

yes but at 2mm per side, it's very easy to overlook unless you 

A: Know to look

B Have the experience to perceive what your seeing and recognize it for what it is.

C: Don't have any previous experience or not much and just assume thats the way it's supposed to be... heck its smashed up against the head any way.,,right...

Still a good question...to ask... Thanks Noble

I didn't measure it when I did gasket (and I ain't taking head off just to check) coz it was all stock apart from the new piston and I had no reason to think it might be bigger i just presumed the previous owner had re plated the stock cylinder. I was just thinking of reasons as why my engine seems happier running on similar jetting to a big bore

• Like 1